Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trouble upgrading to Windows XP from 98SE

• Please log in to reply

gcmom7

gcmom7

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have been trying to upgrade my computer to Windows XP from 98SE. I purchased the program, scan checked and defragged my computer first with Diskeeper, and have tried to install the program direct from the CD. I have removed my printer from my computer (in case it was creating the problem), have turned off my AVG virus program (after I used it to scan my computer for final viruses, as well as using Spyhunter and Bazooka, neither of which are left running while I'm trying to install XP), and I still can't get the program to upgrade. I Cntl, Alt, Del to double-check that nothing is running except Systray and Explorer.
I have a Compaq Deskpro, Intel Pentium III, Desktop w/383 MB RAM, 32-bit file system.
To upgrade, I am inserting the XP install CD, it starts up, I go to the Welcome screen, click on Install XP, choose Upgrade, and allow it to use Dynamic Update. The Dynamic Update states that it can't reach the Microsoft Upgrade site, so I choose to go on without it. (this happens when I choose to Check System Compatibility from the Welcome screen, too.) When the program tries to Install from either of these places then, (either the regular Install XP choice, or the Check System Compatibility), it just stops, (no black screen, though), and I Cntl, Alt, Del to find that the Setup is Not Responding.
I can't figure out why. Can anyone give me any suggestions? Am I able to install XP from Safe Mode? I'm thinking not, but I'm not certain.
Oh,...and if it matters at all, I have Cable for internet connections.

Thanks for your prompt responses and your time. :) Appreciate this site much.

Edited by gcmom7, 15 March 2008 - 12:58 AM.

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
As long as your computer is set to try to boot from the cdrom first in the bios then try putting in the WinXP cd and rebooting your computer and press any key to boot from cdrom when it says to. then just run through the setup making sure to do an upgrade install so it doesn't delete all your personal files. if your computer isn't set to try to boot from cdrom first then you need to change that in your bios. if you don't know how to get to your bios, just look for the key it says to press to enter Setup, it should be on the first screen that appears when you power the pc on. its usually your press the Del key or one of the Function keys (F2). once in the bios look for the boot section and set the cdrom as first boot device then set your local hard drive as second boot device then save and exit bios.

good luck

gcmom7

gcmom7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It is not set to boot from CD. I did see that as a possible solution in the Troubleshooting Setup section of the XP Install CD. I didn't want to do that yet, till I had some ideas from this site.
If I should try it that way, how do I get my comp back to booting up from the local hard drive, if the Install is successful?
Thanks~

gcmom7

gcmom7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well, I did the boot up from the CD (I kinda figured that to get it back to booting from the hard drive, you just did the same thing---but, putting hard drive in the 1st spot again instead).
It booted up from the CD, then had me ok to the agreement, but for some strange reason---even though it said Windows XP Setup at the top of the screen, it then proceeded to tell me that it didn't recognize my comp as having a Windows program on it. (duhhh...I have Windows 98SE). It then told me to put in a CD, listing several that included the Windows XP Home Edition full that I already had in there to boot up from.....so, I took the CD out, put it back in, and then it tells me that it can't read a CD in there, and to try again. This, of course, continues to be the same the more I try it, so I then gave up and exited, then started the computer up again from the hard drive.
Any suggestions?? I'm wondering if somehow I have a bad CD.
P.S. Just in case, for some odd reason, my computer wasn't reading the CD section, I tested a music CD just now, and it recognized it and played it just fine.......So, reading inserted CD's doesn't seem to be a problem.

gcmom7

gcmom7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've been trying to find some other info that might be useful. (Microsoft site, of course, is not useful too much, because they seem to refuse to recognize 98SE anymore>) However, I've determined that to install the XP Upgrade, I need Min. Hard Drive space of 1.5 GB ( I have 11.8GB Used, with 6.76 GB available) , I need Min. 64 MB Ram size (I have 383 MB Ram), it needs Min. Processor size of Intel Pentium 233 MHz ( I have Intel Pentium III 995MHz---determined at pcpitstop.com, which I use regularly---at least until they quit recognizing 98SE, too) ;-0

I've not mentioned yet, either, that I have the added SP2 version of the Upgrade CD, too.

So, I'm clueless from here----it seems that I should be able to upgrade just fine--so, I'm wondering if I should try to get another CD instead....perhaps this one is bad??

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you are using a upgrade CD instead of a OEM or RETAIL CD you must have a previous windows CD to insert in the cd drive when the XP install asks for one. Otherwise it will not install. Beg, borrow, or buy a cheap older windows CD ofr verification. I have even used a windows 95 OSR1 CD for verification.

You cannot get around have a verification CD before XP will install.

SRX660

gcmom7

gcmom7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok...I'll try that. Unfortunately, I loaned MY 98SE to a friend last summer, who then moved w/o finding it first to return it. With the price of gas, I guess it will cost me less ($20) to go get another one made in the next town over, rather than head to the farther-away town to exchange XP cd's. (I checked on this the other day, as I've been trying to use the USB connections on my comp and it was needing the drivers off of the 98SE cd, which I didn't have.) I will check, too, if a neighbor of mine has a 98 cd of some sort laying around. My other comp just came with the 98 installed already, plus it's not working right now anyway. LOL~

I'll get a cd, try it, and get back to ya'll here tomorrow. Thanks so much~

Edited by gcmom7, 15 March 2008 - 02:21 AM.

gcmom7

gcmom7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
HELP NEEDED AGAIN___THANKS! Ok...I have the required CD now to show the XP Upgrade that I do, in fact, have another Windows system on my comp in order to qualify for the Upgrade.
I booted up from the XP CD, went thru the same stuff I mentioned above, inserted the required CD to confirm the qualification, it accepted it, and then went on to search for---then tell me that I had one Partition (C:) on my comp available. It had only the one item listed there that it found, said to highlight on where I wanted the XP Upgrade installed, and being as there was only ONE thing listed there, I highlighted the Partition of C: It then tells me that it already has an operating system installed there, and warns me that if I install the XP Upgrade there, it will delete the other operating system. I'm assuming the other system is my 98SE, of course......but, if so, WHY is it warning me about losing it?? Isn't that what I'm supposed to be doing on that?? Sometimes I'm not comp illiterate, but sometimes 'just abit'......either that, or I'm just careful at first. Before continuing on and installing the Upgrade on that ONE partition that's in the list (C:), I wanted to check here first if that's the CORRECT thing to do. I can't afford to have my comp stop working for me. LOL~

Thanks for your prompt replies, help and your time.

Edited by gcmom7, 15 March 2008 - 05:22 PM.

gcmom7

gcmom7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I hope someone knowledgeable is around on Saturdays............??? ;-)

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, windows will give you the message that your OS already on the computer will be replaced. The reason for that is because at one time there was another OS on there. Do not worry about that go ahead and install XP on the computer. You may have to go looking for hardware drivers later if The XP cd does not have any for the motherboards hardware. Most of the time everything works just fine on older factory computers.

You will be a little bit low on memory. Most of the time i run 1 gig of memory for XP. It will run on 512 MB of memory very well, i just prefer some excess. Your computer will also be a bit slow compared to newer computers. I havent even installed XP on less than a intel P4 2.4 system. I tried once on a H-P Vectra 1 gig computer but did not like it and soon switched it back to Windows ME.

SRX660

Advertisements

gcmom7

gcmom7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I, of course, am not wanting to lose any of my programs or any of my current settings while upgrading to Windows XP. I understand that this would not be a problem if I were to do it thru the regular way by activating the Upgrade CD within 98SE while on my usual desktop, but someone has told me that I will lose everything for certain if I do it via booting from the CD instead. (in earlier postings here within this topic, I've stated what happened when I tried that.) Is this true? Or can I really just upgrade from the boot, and keep my programs and settings as usual? I need some other opinions. :-0

BTW, you mention more RAM, SRX660....if I put in abit more to bring it up to 512 MB, do you think that the XP install program would work better within the 98SE on my usual desktop, pulling up the XP CD from there??

Thanks for your help and time, all.

gcmom7

gcmom7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Another problem with trying to get support at microsoft.com is that nearly every link that is supposed to take you to info about upgrading to XP eventually gets you to some page that tells you that Microsoft doesn't support or recognize 98SE. Well, duhhhhh, ....that's why I'm trying to upgrade to XP. (and apparently I'm running late in the stage to do so with support from them)
I even downloaded the XP Upgrade Advisor by itself from their website. (they actually did have this part). http://www.microsoft...ng/advisor.mspx However, once I downloaded and started it, it wouldn't connect to the Microsoft Support site,.......mainly, I do believe, because their site no longer recognizes 98SE. Arrggh~ And, I can't seem to find a place on their website to reach someone to 'talk to' in an online window.(like I did when I first ordered the system last year.) Note: I didn't put the system on the comp then, because I had several high school students and a college student who had reports and such on there, and I didn't want to take the chance on losing them at the time. However, it has become pertinent to upgrading to XP now, at least, so that a particular online class program can be reached via our comp.

Any more suggestions?? I may have to end up seeing if I can exchange the XP Upgrade CD for a Vista, I guess. Hmmm...don't know if they'll let me do that, though.

Bottom line is this: I need to know if I will actually be able to upgrade my system to XP, from my 98SE, with my XP w/SP2 Upgrade(only, I think. That's what it states on the CD, anyway.) CD, via a boot from the CD itself, will I definitely lose all programs and current settings. ???

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you are trying a clean install( this sound like it's what you are doing) you will lose all your programs unless you backed them up on CD's or have the original install CD's so you can reinstall them. By upgrading you may still lose some of your programs. It does not seem to want to let you upgrade over win 98SE. I would prefer a clean install anyway. That way you do not have the problems of mixing drivers and files from 2 different operating systems. Some are not meant to be run on XP and they were not designed to work on the newer operating system. Some program you will have to right click the program and click properties so you can try running the program in compatibility mode. you will see that when you get into the properties of the programs. Only do this if you are getting errors or having problems with parts of the program running well. It would be nice if you could run the XP with the NTFS file system. It is much better than running in the FAT32 file system. I have run XP in both file systems and i prefer the better stability of the NTFS file system. A socond problem with running in FAT32 is you will only be able to format any drive to 32 gigabytes. Any larger size hard drive will have to be partitioned into more than a single partition. There are workarounds to get around this XP FAT32 limit and i think XP SP2 does not have this problem.

While you can get by with your 384 MB of ram , it really does not leave you with much for any other programs. This computer i am on right now ( A Compaq SR2011WR intel 3.0 ) uses 332Mb of memory with just firefox open and no running programs . So you can see that it does not leave you with much to spare when you only have 50 MB left.

Now microsoft says the bare minimum requirements are:

* 233-MHz processor, 64MB of RAM, and 1.5GB of available disk space
* Microsoft recommends at least a 300-MHz processor and 128MB of RAM

But, as i have already said, i did not like XP on a 1 gig CPU system i had. Even your system will be somwhat slow with XP on it , compared to Win 98SE. Do not even try running Vista on your computer. It won't even install at all. Your computer does not have the minimum requirements.

You will get messages about slow USB ports and other problems like that, because XP is really meant for a much newer system. It will run on your computer, Just a bit slow.

Sorry, if i can't seem to explain any better. I will keep answering questions until you are satisfied knowing what you are getting into with XP.

SRX660

gcmom7

gcmom7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you for your response. (By the way---I am not trying to install a Clean start at this point, as I have several students who have 'papers' and such saved stuff on here, as I do a few things, and I'm trying not to lose them. I seem to think that there will be wwaaayyyy too much for me to try to save 'by hand'. I do have most of the programs that we use on original CD's, and also available to download, so a Clean Install would probably work, if it weren't for the 'papers'--saved stuff of theirs--and a few things of mine that I'm trying not to lose. I would lose all of that, correct, if I did a Clean Install, correct??) Before I received it last night, I read on Microsoft's site that if it the install program stopped responding, to try to wait 10-15 mins to see if it would start up again. I tried this---within the regular set-up of my comp, via 98SE....not via a boot from the CD-----and it did indeed start responding again after about just 5-7 mins of stopping responding. Since the program wasn't reaching the Microsoft update site (as someone else who is trying to help discovered, too, after putting 98SE on a test comp of his and then trying to update to XP on an Install CD, via the 98SE, not the boot from cd style), I had disconnected my cable internet. After the Dynamic Update couldn't reach the website, I clicked the 'go on ahead and install' section. (I had done that before, too.....but, after it stopped responding, of course, I exited the program, rather than trying to wait 10-20 mins, as Microsoft site suggested.) However, when the install tonight got to analyzing the computer, (it started out telling me that it would take 83 mins approx for the install------or thereabouts), it stopped telling me that at about 78 mins., though the program wasn't hanging up, at least not to the point that it said that when I did Cntrl, Alt, Del to check. The small multicolored squares at the bottom right of the program's screen, too, never stopped moving across and across--showing the program was still responding. The Intro to XP never stopped running either----the screens that tell you all about what's going to be available both on and with XP. After about an hour, though, being "stuck" at 78 mins and about 2/3 of the way thru analyzing the comp, though it still showed the program as 'responding', I then gave up, by Cntl, Alt, Del and ending the Update process. It asked if I wanted to do that, I said yes, and then it told me it would spend time 'un-doing' what it'd done already, it did, and then the program closed as asked. I restarted the comp, then tried the entire thing again------this time hooking it up to the internet again, though it can't reach that site anyway. I went thru just what you mentioned, saying no to the Dynamic Update after the first try, and it went on again as I just described-----hitting the same hang-up for about 5-6 mins, then responding again. Once again, it stopped at about 2/3 of the analyzing of the comp, at about 78 mins left in the installation--it said, and even though I left it on and watched it for about another hour, whilst the program never stopped responding-----Intro screens still moved, the bottom-right squares still moved across and across, and Cntl, Alt, Del never indicated the program wasn't responding.......I then went to bed,leaving it on all night, occasionally looking at it when I awoke a few times--to find it doing the same ol' responding (supposedly), and as of this morning when I got up, it still hadn't moved any further on its graph of analyzing the comp, nor of the 78 mins time left.

I did read at Microsoft that I could put the FAT32 into that NTSB, but, of course, that was suggested to be done after I found the XP program to be working with the comp for a few days AFTER the installation of it, because one can't change that back. I was hoping that perhaps that might help the comp not run in the sluggish manner that both you and Jim suggest it to probably doing once it's installed.
I just can't seem to get it installed. LOL~ I guess I'll try to get ahold of Microsoft and see what they say about the installation of it right now. I still don't understand why my comp specs seem to be enough for what is suggested to have a min. of for XP, and why some don't seem to think that will be good enough......though, don't get me wrong, ....I trust that.....I just don't get it. ha~ I did find at Microsoft last night that I wouldn't have enough on my comp, at this point, to do Vista.

BTW, would adding an external hard drive add enough comp specs to do Vista? I know that several have suggested a new comp, but those are considerably more in cost as to what I could afford to do right now. ;-0
Thanks for your help here....and for sticking around for me until I get this...ha~ I greatly appreciate your time.

gcmom7

gcmom7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've been reading online again----please help me to understand this possible solution. If I were to purchase an External Hard Drive, connect it to my comp, then do the following with my students' 'papers', projects, pic files, my document file, and other stuff of mine, would that work to save it all to put on the comp again, once I did a Clean Install of the Windows XP SP2 that I have? Also, would I have to remove the Hard Drive from my comp to do the Clean Install, then connect it again after that? Or would it matter? ***(like I mentioned, I have most of the programs that I need on original CD's, and the others can be downloaded again.---I have the codes to do so still, for the ones I've purchased. Some were free.)****

Making backup copies manually
Regardless of what version of Windows you use, you can manually make a backup copy of any file or folder by following these steps:

Right-click the file or folder that you want to back up, and then click Copy from the menu.

Now, in My Computer, you can right-click the disk or external hard drive where you want to store the backup copy, and then click Paste from the menu.