Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant delete old user files and windows files

• Please log in to reply

Baldeep

Baldeep

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, I resently I installed the news windows vista, I realsed thta this slowed down my computer so I wanted to downgrade. So I used my windows xp disk to re install windows xp but I was unable install it on the normal WINDOWS folder. So I chose to install it on a different folder. Since then I when I load the computer I get two options of which folder to boot from one folder works while the other dousnt have a neccesery file needed. When I run the computer I realised that I now have two different WINDOWS folders, this seems to have taken up a lot of hard drive space on the computer. I also want to delete some old user files which also have taken up a lot of hard drive space but it says I dont have the nesesary privelages, but I am logged in as the administrator so I am really confused. Can somone plaese help me?

Im sory about the earlier post wich didnt make sense, I was in a hurry!

Edited by Baldeep, 16 March 2008 - 01:43 PM.

Advertisements

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Hi Baldeep, the easiest way to sort this would probably be to simply back up your personal files, then install windows again.

When the installation gets to the point where you choose where to install, delete the partitions that it shows you. Once they are all deleted choose to install windows on the unformatted/unpartitioned space.