Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Vista won't update

• Please log in to reply

colette422

colette422

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi,

I am running Vista Home Premium on a HP dv9500 laptop I purchased in August, 2007. Since December 6, 2007 Vista does not connect to Windows Update. I have even started Windows update and let it run overnight and it still will not connect. Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but the QuickPlay program will not update either. It just hangs and locks up. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do?

Thank you,
Colette

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello colette422,
The first thing that I think of when you can not go to windows updates is malware.
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

colette422

colette422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thank you for your reply. I will follow your suggestions and post in the malware forum.

Colette

colette422

colette422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi,

I went to the malware forum and followed the directions there. Since then I have been trying to get Hijack This to run on my computer and I have been unsuccessful. In the meantime, my computer has started to give me a blue screen on occassion. I made up my mind I was going to call HP and get all my buggy problems solved. I planned that for tomorrow since my schedule will allow an all-day adventure. I decided that today I would tidy up my computer and back up my important stuff before my big call for help. I decided to uninstall a trial version of a pdf conversion program since I'd like to try a different program. After the unistall, I did a clean up and made sure all the associated folders were removed. Immediately, windows update connected on its own and the updates started downloading. Coincidence? I don't think so because the day I installed the program was the last day my computer was able to connect to Windows Update. Anyway, I wanted to share this just in case anyone else has encountered the same problem. Oh, the program is 'Solid PDF'.

Colette

Dellica

Dellica

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Good job on finding the problem on your own Colette, thanks for replying here again and letting us know what the actualy issue was. I hope you don't have any more of those nasty endeavors in your further computerlife! :)