Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can i use this ram

• Please log in to reply

fortuitous

fortuitous

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
hit here everyone, i was just wondering if i could use this with my XP. it says something about only using it with 64 bit systems. this is my system now.

AMD Athlon 64 X 2 dual core 3800+, 2011Mhz, 256Kb L1, 1024Kb L2
Caption NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 512Mb
1Gb Synchronous DDR2 266 MHz

Many thanks

Advertisements

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
What motherboard are you using?

fortuitous

fortuitous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
blimey, what an idiot i am, i didnt even show the ram i was hoping to use! that'l teach me to post in a forum after a few too many glasses of home made wine! this is the ram ive been looking at.

Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL5(5-5-5-18) Heat Spreader Lifetime Warranty

is there something special about this that means it can only be run with xp 64 bit?

Many thanks

MSI K9N Ultra-2F nForce 570 Ultra Socket AM2 UDMA133 Serial ATA-300 (RAID) 2 x Gigabit Ethernet 8-channel audio ATX

AMD Athlon 64 X 2 dual core 3800+, 2011Mhz, 256Kb L1, 1024Kb L2

Caption NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 512Mb

1Gb Synchronous DDR2 266 MHz

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
I've looked at the manual for your mainboard and checked out the memory on Corsair's website. I don't see any conflicts or anything that mentions you can only use the memory on an XP 64bit system. Where did you see something about a 64 bit system?

If you have doubts you could always go for Corsair's XMS2 DHX RAM 4 x 1Gig sticks on Micro Center's web page for under $80 after rebate. I'm nearly positive that they would be compatible with your system.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi fortuitous...

Though your motherboard will support up to 8 GB, 32 bit Windows will not support 4 GB of RAM and may become unstable if you install that much. You will actually see better performance using 2 GB in a dual channel configuration.

If you want to be able to run 4 GB of RAM, you will need to install a 64 bit operating system.

wannabe1