Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD, Memory dump, then cursur on start

• Please log in to reply

Hermie Hedgehog

Hermie Hedgehog

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an HP ZV5000 laptop, and I got a blue screen message that said something about a fatal error and a memory dump, then I tried restarting, and I get a blinking cursor. The message was too fast to read, unfortunately.

I am currently running the system restore disk that came with it, but I ran into a problem, and am running it a second time.

Anyone have a similar problem, or better yet, a solution?

Advertisements

Hermie Hedgehog

Hermie Hedgehog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I got the BSOD once, then I could no longer get to Windows. When I start the computer, I can access the BIOS, which look fine, but after that when Windows normally begins to run, I get a blinking cursor, and nothing else.

I tried running the Quick Restore disk, but I get an error, and it can't continue. I can get to DOS after that, and I'm going to see if I can look to see what's still on my hard drive.

EDIT: Apparently, I got a virus that wiped out my entire hard drive in less than half a second. After having someone with more computer knowledge deal with the restoration disk, it was fixed, but everything I had saved was lost. Which sucks.. I forgot to back up a few stories of mine...

Edited by Hermie Hedgehog, 16 March 2008 - 03:14 PM.