Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU goes to 100%...and slows PC down

• Please log in to reply

Srce

Srce

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Just as the title says, my CPU usage goes through the roof after about 10 minutes of watching a video file.

The video playback stops, but sound remains unchanged. It doesn't matter what format the file is in, XviD, x264, divx, mpg, avi, atc.

After I close all apps. running, and look into the task manager at the CPU Usage bar, it's always at 100%. It starts going down and levels of at about 15%. I still can't do anything with the PC because as soon as I move the mouse, the Usage shoots back up to 100%.

After letting the system "cool off" for about 5 minutes, the CPU usage goes down to 0-1% and the system returns to normal.

I have all the latest drivers, codecs, EVERYTHING, and nothing helps. This started about a month ago while watching a YouTube vid, and since then, even my vids on the HDD do this CPU Usage thing.

I'm at my wits end here, any help is appreciated.

Win XP Pro
1000 MHz
384MB RAM
504MB Page File
Intel Chipset with 64MB of Video Memory

PLEASE HELP!

Advertisements

Srce

Srce

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Bump :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If I understand the specifications of your computer it is rather old and of limited resources. 384 MB of ram (probably SDRAM or a slow DDR) is very little for a computer running XP. Even further, out of this 384 MB 64 are used by the shared video card. I suggest the following:

1: Try a different media player and see if it makes any difference.

2: Download Everest from my list of links below. Click Computer and then click Sensor. The table that opens will show temperatures of the cpu, HD and motherboard. Let the computer run a video and keep Everest open but minimized. After about 5 minutes maximize it and report the recorded temperatures.

Srce

Srce

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I only get a readout on two temps:

CPU 26 C (79 F)
HDD 57 C (135 F)

I noticed that XviD runs a lot longer before slowing the PC down than X264, about 40 minutes longer.

Edited by Srce, 16 March 2008 - 08:23 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you check temperatures after loading up the computer for a while? 26 degrees C for the cpu is very low temprature even for an idling computer. I would expect temp to be much higher for a cpu that runs at 100%.

What media player are you using? Have you tried another one?

Srce

Srce

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have checked it again, and this time the temp was 28*C at 100% CPU Usage.

I used 3 players, all with same results.

VLC
mplayer Classic
WMP 10

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please download Process Explorer from Sysinternals, run it and report which process loads the cpu.

How long do you have this problem? has it started suddenly? If yes, can you relate it to any occurance such as hardware/software installation, malware infection etc.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I agree with The Skeptic...you have barely enough resources tp run xp pro...
but lets try this...
go to START..RUN...type in MSCONFIG...then click on OK or press ENTER..
click on START UP TAB...uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not remove them ..they are still available to use...

the next thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..uncheck ...allow indexing on this drive....if you do not have the box on your system...

then START...RUN...type in SERVICES.MSC...then OK...scroll down until you find INDEXING SERVICE...click on it and in the general tab set it to DISABLED...then exit

To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, index.dat etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you...Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Click on CCleaner to start it....
Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

next get diskeeper lite here...

after installing it...click on the icon...close the "nag" screen...click on your c drive to select it ...then down towards the bottom ...click on defragment now...first time you use it it may take 15 to 30 minutes to complete...do it about every two weeks and it will complete in about 7 minutes...
reboot and tell us hows its running...

Srce

Srce

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry it took me this long to respond, been busy with work.

Anyway, I have done all that was posted, downloaded and ran all the tools and the PC runs noticeably smoother, however, the original problem persists.

I can't attribute the problem to anything specific I have done, I can't remember installing or upgrading ANYTHING at the time it started. It started suddenly while watching a YouTube video about 5 weeks ago and it never bothered me until now because now I watch F1 races since the season started and absolutely need to watch them in their entirety without interruption. :)

As for Process Cleaner, I don't really know how to tell you guys which one loads up the CPU, so I have included a screen shot of it running, hopefully you can figure it out from there.

scrnshotpe.JPG

Thanks for the Help, I do appreciate it.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Process explorer looks very good. It shows that idle process is about 99%, which means that about 99% of cpu resources are available to be used. Please run a video file and check in Process Explorer what is the value of Idle Process while the video is played. Please ignore high or low peaks and report estimated average. You will certainly get a value lower than 99% so please report what other processes are are heavy users of cpu.

It's very possible that your computer is too low on resources for the required job.