Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spybot Scan Result

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
PC running exceedingly slow today so did usual updates and scansl. Spybod indicates a "red" entry of RegClean. Please advise.

waynf

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
That's probably because Registry Cleaners are inherently dangerous. Take a look at this thread featuring Bill Castner( Leading member of Aumha) quoting Mark Russinovich (founder of WinInternals and author of Process Explorer): http://www.windowsbb...ead.php?t=61015

I have never read a thread in which the user said that using a Registry Cleaner solved any problem. I have seen many in which the use of a Registry Cleaner caused problems.

While there are certain situations that can benefit from an advanced Registy tool, simple "cleaning" is not one of them.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Thank you for the information. Now do I uninstall CCleaner and forget about this kind of tool? And what do I do with that "red" entry titled RegClean, Remove it?

Anticipating your reply

Waynef

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
If it were me I would uninstall RegClean from Add/Remove.
As far as CCleaner goes, I use it myself, but not for the Registry stuff.
I like being able to right click the Recycle bin and "Run CCleaner."
ATF Cleaner works just as well, (maybe even just a little better) but must be run manually.

http://www.majorgeek...aner_d4949.html

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I was never aware that I had RegClean on my computer, and it does not appear on Add/Remove anywhere.

waynf

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
AmI to understand by all this that a blanket CCleaner session does more harm than good, or any other cleaners for matter, or can I still use CCleaner, because it does come highly recommended. Secondly am I to further understand that when using it I should only empty recycle bin, and should I uncheck dat.files. and just let it clean recycle bin, cookies, temp. files etc.?

waynf

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
There is an opinion shared by many that registry cleaners like CCleaner are useless, and don't actually help. Often registry cleaners can do a lot of damage.

I personally use CCleaners registry cleaner, it is up to you though. Just make sure you have a backup before fixing anything.

As for Spybot detecting RegClean, it is probably finding left over registry keys. It should be safe to remove them.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I second that. I would go ahead and have Spybot remove the RegClean entry. I regularly have CCleaner dump everything except my Prefetch, the cookies I like, and the Registry stuff. I have heard very few reports of difficulty with CCleaner even with regard to the Registry section. Still-- a backup is essential.

Get ERUNT: http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/
and put all Registry concerns to rest.
ERUNT tutorial: http://www.larsheder...erunt/erunt.txt

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
So am I to understand by reading info on ERUNT that I can no longer use System Restore to solved problems?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
ERUNT is for registry backups, so if you delete a registry key that you need it is better to use ERUNT to restore the setting.

You can still use System Restore to solve problems.