Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help changing IP address from 169 to 192

• Please log in to reply

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Last week my hi-speed internet provider, Comcast, helped me revise my IP address from 169 to 192 that allowed me to connect wireless to the internet on an old Cpi Dell laptop with W98. The IP address has reverted back to 169 and I can no longer connect to the internet. Can someone help me change my IP address and hopefully do it so that it remains at 192? Comcast normally does not assist customers with W98, as I was lucky last week that someone helped me, not so lucky this week.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Start -> Run -> Winipcfg - Release All -> Renew All.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Neil,

Thx for your reply. Is your instructions different than what a Comcast person had me do last night, that didn't work:
start command ipconfig/all then tried ipconfig/release and finally tried ipconfig/renew none of which worked. In your instructions, remember I'm a real rookie, are there any "/"'s? eg. winipcfg/release/all?

Edited by Don Stewart, 16 March 2008 - 05:38 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You get a 169 address when your computer doesn't get a reply from the DNS server and Windows has to set the address. Make sure you have the DNS server address entered properly. I'm not acquainted with Comcast so I can't tell you the address or how to enter it. Some services give you a fixed IP and you have to enter it manually.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Neil,

Start -> Run -> Winipcfg - Release All -> Renew All. This did not work for me, any other suggestions?

Tyger,

Thx for the response. Sure don't know much about DNS srevers, but I was told like you mentioned that Windows reverts back to IP address 169 for some reason, even though a have a STRONG signal from my DELINK router that my NetGear wireless card states that I'm connected, but no IP 192 address?

Anybody,

More sugggestions, as I should have written down the instrutions I was given once by a NICE Comcast person that knew W98, which is not support by my internet provided.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Don
To find out your current ip address you type in winipcfg - ipconfig does not work on 98.
If this computer is staying at your home then we can set a static ip address - they do not change.
Cheers
Peterm

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Peterm,

Laptop is leaving the home, so all is GREAT! Thx for all your help, you guys are OUTSTANDING. You may close this post and/or mark resolved, customer very satisfied.

Don

PS-have a great day!

Terfeliaver

Terfeliaver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi.
Prompt please where to download a program to recognize the texts?

thanx.