Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No XP disk with s/h pc

• Please log in to reply

Travlla

Travlla

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys
I recently purchased a HP Compaq dx 6100 off ebay,It has a COA product key on top off case it has a genuine version of XP Pro SP 2 running on system,what do i do if i need to reinstall windows as i dont have a XP disc? I believe this computer came from factory with XP installed and was told when this is the case you make a recovery when pc is first powered up . can i make a recovery disk ? if yes how do i go about it?

thanks in advance

Trav

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
This is a problem with buying a used computer.
If a set of recovery disc was already created than you will not be able to create a second set, unless the system has been restored to factory settings.
You can order a set of recovery disc from HP for around 15-20 USD.
If the system has been restored to factory settings you should be able to go into back up and restore, or recovery, and make a set of disc.

Travlla

Travlla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

This is a problem with buying a used computer.
If a set of recovery disc was already created than you will not be able to create a second set, unless the system has been restored to factory settings.
You can order a set of recovery disc from HP for around 15-20 USD.
If the system has been restored to factory settings you should be able to go into back up and restore, or recovery, and make a set of disc.

Thanks for the advice, looks like someone on ebay is going to get some bad feedback.

Trav