Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iPod Touch Question

• Please log in to reply

spaz69

spaz69

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I do not wish to hack my iPod Touch, or "Jailbreak" it as it is called. I would just like to know if any apps exist to install on my iPod Touch that are not web-based. I'd like to play simple games on it when I am without access to a WiFi connection. Is there such a thing? Remember, I am not going to hack my iPod in order to do this.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved to Tech Discussion

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
I have the IPhone, and I am pretty sure they run on similar updates. A new patch is coming soon that will allow third party apps, but I am sure it will only be ones that Apple somehow has their claws in.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
You wasted your money on an iPhone? Man, you really are a nerd.

Someone get Excal some white tape for his horn-rimmed glasses.

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
It was a Christmas present, didn't cost me a dime :)

Falcrest

Falcrest

• Pip
  • 4 posts
sorry if I insult anyone here but when it comes to apple products, I don't care what it is, smash it and go pay half the price for a Zune or other gadget that does the same thing. I've never like apple products of anykind. As for the question on what you can do for games, you could try looking it up on google then transfering it through USB to the itouch (I say to use the USB because I've worked with an itouch and it does't do downloads to well)

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Well, honestly the iPhone is not worth the money (it's way too expensive here since they actually mod it to make it work). It costs $1000 here (yes, it's that expensive). One of my friends has one and I got a few minutes of play time - uber-cool, but I wouldn't pay this money for it.

Apple products are truly cool but they are way too snobbish and expensive with their marketing and pricing.

As for the question, I'm in doubt Apple allows 3rd party software on the Touch.

gutterman

gutterman

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Unless you purchase the $20 5-App software upgrade, you'll have to wait until June to access the App Store. And if you are using an ipod touch, it will cost you money to upgrade to Firmware 2.0, which is required and installs the App Store. Once you have the App Store, you will be able to download and use free/retail Apps developed as a result of the recently released SDK. Some developers will release apps that cost $$, some will be free, depends on the developers.

May I ask why you aren't willing to Jailbreak? I find playing Nintendo on my iPod quite enjoyable. :-D