Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection problem, wireless router!

• Please log in to reply

Fakeor

Fakeor

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hello there!

I have this problem with my wireless router, a Topcom Skyr@cer WPR 254g and my Nintendo Wii. All I want is for this router to work so that I can be able to connect it correctly so that my Wii can get it's access point.

This is what my home LAN consists of:

Thomson Speedtouch 500 series(520 I believe) - My ADSL router.
Wireless telephone router(There's a cable from my ADSL router to this "router", and from this router there's a cable to my Switch) - Used for our wireless phones in the house.
Jensen 8 port Switch - my Switch that gives the internet connection to the 4 computers at home(and it's working fine)
Topcom Skyr@cer WPR 254g - My Wireless router that I can't get to connect with my computer/internet.

---

I'll explain it through an image:

Posted Image

(From Wireless Telephone, the cable goes into Port #1 on the Switch, and Port#2-5 goes to the 4 computers)

I've reset the Wireless Router to make the settings to default. I've tried to have a cable from one of the ports on the Switch to both WAN and Port#1 on the Wireless router, and in addition I've tried to take my network cable from my computer to the Port #1 on the wireless router, and then one cable from Port #2 to my computer again. I lose my internet connection, and I can still not connect with my wireless router.

I can NOT access 192.168.1.1 which is the router's configuration panel. I need to access it to change SSID and open up more settings so my Wii can catch up to it as an Access Point.

Where will I have to put the cable from my Switch to my Wireless router for it to give me connection to it? Or what do I need to do? I feel like I've tried everything, so please, help me out!

Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What is this "Wireless Telephone Box" device? Is it just another name for your cordless telephone base that you feed through a normal phone or is it a SkyPE sort of service?
I think part of the problem is you're using two routers and the system is connecting to the wrong one.. Either use the ADSL Thomson one or the SkyRacer one depending on what type of internet you're on.

Set up as thus:

Computers 1-4 plugged into the network switch. Cable from network switch to router. Router to modem or phone line depending on whether its ADSL or not. If your wireless telephone box is a cordless telephone base, it needs to go on the other side of the filter, or if its SkyPE type phone, it should be able to connect to its own port on the router/switch.

Fakeor

Fakeor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Uhm. English aint my primary language(in fact 3rd), so I don't know the exact name. But the "wireless telephone box" is just a router that uses my ADSL connection to send signals. It's not a Skype kind of phone, but it's our main phone here at home, it just works cheaper if we use it with our ADSL. The Telephone box/router is needed and I think it has to stay where it is for it to work. Unsure, though. I just can't ditch it.

Wireless and Cordless is pretty much the same thing, isn't it?

The Thomson is our main 3mbit ADSL connection, and we all have used cables instead of wireless, and we haven't had any use for the wireless router.

Are you saying I should try to put the Skyr@cer in the middle of the ADSL router and the Telephone router, and have a cable from the telephone router to my network switch?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Uhm. English aint my primary language(in fact 3rd), so I don't know the exact name. But the "wireless telephone box" is just a router that uses my ADSL connection to send signals. It's not a Skype kind of phone, but it's our main phone here at home, it just works cheaper if we use it with our ADSL. The Telephone box/router is needed and I think it has to stay where it is for it to work. Unsure, though. I just can't ditch it.

This sounds like its some sort of what's called Voice Over IP technology which is the same idea behind SkyPE, and you can make voice calls down the broadband connection.

Wireless and Cordless is pretty much the same thing, isn't it?

No.

The term "cordless" should not be confused with the term "wireless", although it often is in common usage, possibly because some cordless devices (e.g., cordless telephones) are also wireless. The term "wireless" generally refers to devices that use some form of energy (e.g., radio waves, infrared, ultrasonic, etc.) to transfer information or commands over a distance without the use of wires and usually does not refer to the connection to the mains power supply (or lack thereof).

Are you saying I should try to put the Skyr@cer in the middle of the ADSL router and the Telephone router, and have a cable from the telephone router to my network switch?

Draw pretty diagrams so you know what's currently linked to what so you can put it all back together later.
Then simplify the setup. To start with, plug the computer directly into the router, bypassing your wireless telephone device and the switch. See if it all works. Then gradually re-introduce new components into the set up to see when it stops working. The last device connected is usually the problem.