Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

configuring wireless REPEATER

• Please log in to reply

paulsiam

paulsiam

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I have purchased "Level One" Wireless Access Point [WAP-0006 11g]. I want to set it up in my office as a universal repeater, because the signal strength of the wireless in my office is always "very low." On my computer, when I am conected to the wireless, the info I get for the connection of the wireless is:

IP Address 192.168.0.17
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server 192.168.0.1
DNS Server 192.168.0.1

I attach a copy of the setup page from the Level One Access Point. I find the option to make it only a "universal repeater." But I am completely lost on what to put in to the other configurations.

Can you help me in how to set this up (the wireless I connect to in the office is unsecured wireless conneciton). The manual that came with the Level One is beyond my abilities to understand!
Thanks
Paul

Attached Thumbnails

• Advanced_Settings.jpg
  • AP_Security.jpg
  • Management_and_DHCP.jpg
  • Wireless_Setting.jpg

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Just buy multiple access points and place them accordingly. Then connect to them. You can have 100 of them and they'll all show up as one big network. If you want to set up security, this is done via the access point's own hardware, not that of the router its connected to.

paulsiam

paulsiam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
thank you for the reply, but this does not really give me an enlightenment yet! I have the wireless access point (Level One); I alreadyhave the USB wireless and receive the signal. I need help inhow to set up the wireless as a repeater so that it canboost the strength of the signal; I sent the configuration pages formthe Level One,,,,,,and desperately nee dhelp on how to configur eit!
Paul

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Easiest way to do an effective repeater is to buy multiple wireless access points and then make sure they have wired connections to the router. Then put them wherever. It'll look as if you have one big network then as long as you're in range of one of the access points, the signal strength should be good.