Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video (Graphics Card)

• Please log in to reply

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
I'm looking into getting a GeForce 8800GT for my new mobo and CPU. I just got a nFOrce 680i LTsli mobo with a Intel Q6600 CPU. Problem is that there is so many different types of 8800GT's out there by different manufacturers. I don't want to spend extra money on one when I can get one that has the same performance and stability for less, but it is very hard to determine the differences and what they mean performance wise.

I greatly appreciate any opinions and/or in site available.

Advertisements

Neeley ATC

Neeley ATC

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello there,

I too often get confused as to which video card from who I should buy, at least you all ready know which, now it is just a matter of from who.

I don't really have an opinion on from who you should buy, just make sure the company has a good warranty such as EVGA's lifetime warranty. Another thing to look for is if OC is in the name, as it means it has been overclocked by the company selling it, and generally will have a little better preformance than standard. I believe that the core clock speed of that video card is 600Mhz, so if you look at 2 different ones you can see the difference of how far they over clocked the video card by looking for this.

For example one company might overclock the core to 650Mhz, and the other company might go a little farther to 670Mhz.

Now if you know how to overclock a vidoe card yourself you can save a little money by buying the standard speed and bumping up the preformance your self, but will most likely void any warranty offered. However there are a few sellers that overclocking is covered in the warranty from what I have read, none that I know but you can look around at the different sights of the vendors and probabley find that answer out your self.

If over clocking your video card seems like something you might want to try HERE is a good thread from OCforums, for starting out.

One thing is for certain though, the 8800GT with 512mb of memory is a better choice than one with 256mb of memory, so pay attention to that as well.

Sorry I couldn't answer your question directly, but i hope this helps you out with making a better coice for what your price and needs are.

~Todd