Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Formatting secondary hard drive

• Please log in to reply

devonboy

devonboy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone. I have never posted anything before but always seemed to find an answer to any query in the past. However I do need some help that I cant seem to find. Proplem is I have 2 hard drives one with Vista (D) and an older drive with XP ©. I can duel boot into either OS. I want to format C drive (xp) to experiment with open source OS but not sure if i will mess things up i.e. not be able to boot into Vista. In disc management the C drive is described as healthy, system, active, primary partition and the D drive is described as healthy, boot, page file, crash dump, primary partition. I thought that as I duel booted this would be a simple task and would leave me booting into Vista with a 114 g hardn drive empty and waiting to have a new operating system installed or just as a second drive for storage but after reading some past topics I am a bit unsure now. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in anticipation!
devonboy

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I think you will have a problem booting into Vista of you reformat the "C" drive. A quick way to see is to open up the Boot ini file on the C drive and see if it defaults to booting from the C drive. You will have to remove any referneces to the "C" drive to be able to boot into the "D" drive.

http://answers.yahoo...i...q7Cs&show=7

SRX660

devonboy

devonboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi SRX660
Thanks for replying.
According to "system properties" the default operating system is Windows Vista the drop down menu shows the "older version of Windows". Does this cover your reply??
devonboy