Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IEHistory PH Shell Monitor

• Please log in to reply

dwaller36

dwaller36

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When I log into my account I am getting a frequent error message, i.e. "IEHistory PH Shell Monitor has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I have checked all the libraries and executables associated with the IEHistoryPH folder and no malware, etc. was found. MD5 checksums show file to be good. Have searched this forum and not found anything. Fellow members, I now humbly turn to you and would appreciate any help. Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What operating system and what version of IE are you using. Could you write down the exact path to IEHistoryPH folder? I can't find it on my computer.

dwaller36

dwaller36

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
First, I want to apologize for not including those two key bits of data (XP Pro SP2, IE 7). After posting, I did some more searching on MS's data base and found out that IEHistoryPHShellMonitor is an IE7 add-on for MS's desktop search program. I had removed that program sometime ago and it left behind the "C:\Program Files\IEHistoryPH" folder that had an .exe file and libraries in it that were still active at times (weird). This was causing my error message. I finally found the IE7 add-on program (IEHistoryPHInstaller.msi) for the desktop search program. I ran it and it had a removal option which cleaned out all of the remaining things, including registry entries, that were causing my error message. I planned on posting this today just in case someone else runs across the same problem. I appreciate your quick response.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.