Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with windows vista.

• Please log in to reply

Mrs.Clack

Mrs.Clack

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Toshiba laptop that runs off of windows vista. I am not sure how long I have had this laptop, but it is giving me trouble. I am trying to figure out how to completely start from scratch and build my way back up. Basically, a clean slate. I cannot figure out how to completely wipe everything out to when I first received the laptop. I am wanting to redo everything. I am just not sure how to begin to wipe everything out and whatnot. Does anybody know how to do this?

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
As you are starting the compute press F10 repeatedly.
When the screen for the system recovery comes up select to do a full recovery. (this will cause you to lose all of your Data).

Mrs.Clack

Mrs.Clack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried doing what you told me to do. When the black screen popped up, the only thing I could do was either hit enter or type something in the given area.
It has /noexecute=optin

It will let me backspace there or type something there. It will not let me do anything else. The only thing I can do other than that is press enter.
When it allowed me to type something I put in /noexecute=optiin=fullsystemrecovery. That did not work. So then I tried /execute=optin=fullsystemrecovery.

Nothing has worked yet. it will not let me move up the screen at all. it just allows me to make changes to that one little area and even then nothing is happening.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
WARNING: Before selecting any of the available " HDD Recovery Methods" please backup your data .
1- To get a list of available " Recovery Methods" hold down the <0> (zero) key while booting the notebook.
While the <0> (zero) key is being held down, press and hold the power button down for 1 second.
Do not release your finger on the <0> (zero) key until the Toshiba logo Screen appears.
Once the Toshiba logo screen appears, release the <0> (zero) key
2-From the menu shown above select the desired "Recovery Method".
Select <1> "Recovery to the purchase state" to restore the notebook to the configuration at the purchase state. This method will delete all partitions and you will lose all data in your hard drive. Select <Y> to continue or <N> to cancel.
Select <Y> to continue or <N> to cancel.
Select <2> "Recovery without changing partition size" to restore the notebook by deleting only the first partition (c:\ ). The other partitions will remain untouched. Press<Y> to continue and <N> to cancel.
Select <Y> to continue and <N> to cancel.