Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need To Free Up Space!

• Please log in to reply

Hexzar

Hexzar

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Ok i have a huge problem... Please read everything fully and hopefully you will understand the full problem.

I have a IBM Laptop T23 model. In total it has around 27gig space. It is split into 2 hardrives;

C:/ - 7gig space. (Main/master drive).
D:/ - 20gig space

At first i installed programs on the C Drive. Then i realised that all the space is going to go soon. So i made a "program files" folder in my D drive, and installed all my other programs there.

The problem is, everytime i install a program, the windows folder gets bigger.. which is in the C drive. Not only this, but all sorts of caches are increasing the C drive also.

Im losing so much space, i only have around 100-200mb space in the C drive, and thats after i've cleared all caches and such...

This is a huge problem.. i dont know what to do. The other week i got this program called partition magic. I thought this would solve the problem, because i thought i could merge both C and D into 1. But sadly i kept getting all kinds of errors when trying this.

Not to mention i was worried that, the "program file" folder in the D drive would get lost, and the programs would stop working because the directory would be messed up.

Please if anyone knows how i can free alot more space up in C... then i need your help, or figure something out in this situation, then please help.

Thank you for reading.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Buy a bigger hard drive.

Hexzar

Hexzar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Buy a bigger hard drive.

Great help that is...

On a serious reply to that, i dont want to go into the hassle in getting a new hard drive and then trying to place it in my laptop.

I just need a solution to my current problem, that is less harder than what you suggested.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Buy a bigger hard drive.

Great help that is...

On a serious reply to that, i dont want to go into the hassle in getting a new hard drive and then trying to place it in my laptop.

I just need a solution to my current problem, that is less harder than what you suggested.

Realistically, a bigger hard drive is the only solution.
I may have been a bit abrupt in the original response for which I apologise, but what you essentially want to do is free up space that isn't there.
A utility such as Partition Magic may be of help, but it will reduce the amount of space available to Drive D so if that is nearly full as well, its not going to let you do it. Plus if you're not careful, this is a powerful program which, if used incorrectly, will probably wipe the machine.

Hexzar

Hexzar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
ok thanks for your second response, helped me a bit. The thing is, my D drive has alot of free space, out of 20gig there's around 15gig space available... which is better than the C drive which has only 200-300mb free space...

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
You realy should concider a larger hard drive.
You can buy a new hard drive for under $80.00 USD and have lots of storage space.
A seven GB hard drive is very small for todays larger programs.
So no matter how much space you create, you will always have a problem with not having enough free space on your hard drive(s).

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Is it IBM or Lenovo? Lenovo computers come with a Rescue and Recovery tool, which keeps a backup of your ENTIRE drive in one folder. I would see if there is a similar IBM program that is doing the same thing and backing everything up as part of the ThinkVantage suite. Windows System Restore is much more reliable, and will not take up as much space as a proprietary R&R program.