Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Test 7 in Memtest

• Please log in to reply

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
i built a pc about 3-4 weeks ago. I've been trying to load Ubuntu and many other Linux distros on it to avoid spending 250 on vista. However non of the Linux distros seem to work for me.
- Ubuntu only works off the LIVE CD, not from the HDD.
-i've used Ubuntu on Live CD for web browsing, word processing, listening to music of an external HDD and i've
opened about 9 programs at the same time from the live CD and there are ZERO lags, it is much faster than
my P4 with WIN XP on the HDD.
-Fedora 8, Suse, PCLinux, do not even boot of the live CD. I chose to run the Live CD and i just get blank screens. I've tried adding the "noapic" and "nolapic" options that i used to run the Ubuntu Live CD but still not luck.

soooo this led me to just deciding to buy Vista sometime very soon. But meanwhile i've been looking around the web and I've seen that RAM issues could also cause booting to fail, and since i have problems booting from the hdd with Ubuntu and not the Live CD i thought that this could be a problem....So what i did was i ran the Memtest that came with the Ubuntu Live CD and it reported 2048 error in test 7 :) does this mean that i have VERY faulty RAM? or is there a wrong setting on the BIOS? because i would think that if the RAM was faulty it would fail SOME of test 7 not all of it. Also if the RAM was faulty would i be able to run so many programs on Ubuntu Live CD with absolutely no problems and such a high speed? Also i have Kingston RAM, and i've read many many good reviews on Kingston stating that their RAM is rarely faulty. My specs are below. Any help is appreciated

MOBO- Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 430 MCP, HT2000 MT/s Dual-Ch.DDR2 1066,
CPU- AMD Athlon 64X2 65W 4000+
RAM- Kingston 533MHz PC2-4200 DDR2 1GB (2x512) Dual Channel
PSU- Antec Earthwatts 500w
HDD- Seagate 7200.10 80GB 8MB SATA300

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Yes, it sounds like you have a memory problem, the test should pass without any errors. Having a problem with RAM can cause strange problems and it will only show up if the program happens to use that location. No memory is immune to problems, while some is better than others, all can have a problem. Also, it could be connection to the memory slot.

If you have more than one memory module, you can try swapping them and see if the problem follows the module or stays with the slot it is in. Also, just taking it out and putting it back in can "clean" the contacts a bit and sometimes can help.

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
so failing test 7 doesn't have a more specific reason of failure? like i've read test 1-5 test something in specific but i haven't read anything about test 6-8

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I just finished testing each of the RAM sticks individually and they came up with no errors when tested one by one. I also tested both RAM slots on the motherboard individually and no errors came up. Only when i put in both sticks to run on dual channel do i get error in Test 7.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Have you tried running things with a single memory stick in to see if that resolves the issue?

I don't happen to know what test 7 is, there should be some documentation on it.

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
i tried running Ubuntu that supposedly already installed on the HDD with one stick right after i tested it and i got the same problem...then i tried running the live CD and it was painfully slow process so i cancelled the running live CD....also with only one 512 stick the BIOS only recognizes 384mb...and 2x512 sticks it recognizes 864mb (i believe not exact on the 2 stick...i dont remember the exact number...i just know that its not past 900mb)

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
The installed version might or might not be ok, depending on whether the memory issue affected it.

Can you turn off the dual channel for the memory?

techpro5238

techpro5238

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Memtest86+ also checks for CPU Cache issues. Can you try another CPU with the same socket type and compatibility? If you run the test again with another CPU, you can say it is not your RAM safely :).