Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vomba,downloader,yazzle,trymedia,zango,180solutions [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dmah3903

dmah3903

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
-- Environment Variables

Advertisements

dmah3903

dmah3903

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
-- Environm

dmah3903

dmah3903

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
-- Environment Variables

dmah3903

dmah3903

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
This is crazy!! I am dow

dmah3903

dmah3903

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Maybe it is

dmah3903

dmah3903

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
-- Environm

dmah3903

dmah3903

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
APPDATA=C:\Documents an

dmah3903

dmah3903

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
COMPUTERNAME=DEANNA
Co

dmah3903

dmah3903

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
ComSpec=C:\WINDOWS\sy

dmah3903

dmah3903

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
ComSpec=C:

Advertisements

dmah3903

dmah3903

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I see this thing went nuts last night long after I had gone to bed. I don't know if you can make heads or tails of these files. Would you like me to resend the two files so we have a fresh starting point?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi Deanna no thanks :) but I can see you are having problems - are you still sane :)

Lets clear some stray registry entries first

WARNING these fixes are designed for this user only and may cause damage if run on an uninfected machine

REGISTRY FIX

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon\notify\rqopn]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon\notify\winbwd32]

Next you will need to create the repair registry fix to do that copy and paste ALL of the above in the quote box to a notepad file. Ensure there is no space above the REGEDIT4.
Then in notepad go to FILE > SAVE AS and in the dropdown box select SAVE AS TYPE to ALL FILES
Then in the FILE NAME box type fix.reg
This will create a fix.reg file on your desktop Posted Image

To use this file you will need to right click the icon and select merge, accept the warning if it appears and you are done.

OK time for me to get my training head on - so get a cup of tea and settle down. I always feel if you understand why I am making a recommendation it will make more sense :)

Here we go. Your main problem is this

Total Physical Memory: 255 MiB (512 MiB recommended).
System Drive C: has 1.52 GiB (less than 15%) free.

Windows has effectively three sorts of memory

"Permanent" This where all your files and programmes are stored on the hard drive for use as and when they are needed. Think of a series of filing cabinets where the programmes are sheets of paper. These sheets are then put in the filing cabinet for later use - but Windows is untidy and will put the individual pages where there is a space. So you may have page one in filing cabinet one drawer three, page two in cabinet seven drawer six and so on So when a programme needs a specific page it has to search for this. Defragmentation puts all the pages in one place so it is easy to find, but it must have a spare cabinet to put them in whilst re-arranging. In addition to your files that you need it will also store your cookies and internet pages here as well. Your filing cabinets are overflowing.

"Scratchpad memory" This is the RAM and information is written here for instant use, Games, virus scanner etc. However, at the moment you only have a small scratchpad, so when it fills up rather than locking your system it takes the oldest information and transfers it to a bigger scratchpad.

"Bigger Scratchpad" This is called virtual memory and is actually on your hard drive, and is thrown into any spare space in the filing cabinet drawers, but instead of pages scattered around it may just be sentences, so it now takes even longer to find the information

So how can this be cured - Well as you suggested first thing to do is remove anything you can from the hard drive. Backup photo's, Videos, Music onto cd/dvd you can still run them on your computer but they are not taking up space - and more importantly are safe.

Next would be to increase the amount of RAM that you have ( make a bigger scratchpad ). At the moment RAM is fairly cheap and very easy to fit. To answer your next question - what sort and how much can I fit in my computer :) Visit this site and run the scanner it will give you all the information you need. Plus it has a handy guide on how to fit RAM.

If you have any questions or need further explanation just shout :)

dmah3903

dmah3903

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
You are wonderful at explaining things! You make it so easy to understand without making people feel dumb. :)

I am going to try adding some memory to this poor thing. I cleared off the majority of my pictures. Is there an easy way to see what is taking up so much space on the hard drive? I have gone into Add/Remove Programs and there just isn't a whole lot listed there. I think the biggest program listed is 323MB which is office. I only have 6 others over 100 MB. What the heck is out there taking up so much darn space?

Thanks,

Deanna

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If you could list the programmes you use I will see if I can find a smaller, faster free alternative. You could start with Adobe pdf and replace it with Foxit reader - a tenth of the size and ten times faster http://www.foxitsoft...df/rd_intro.php

Then dependant upon what word processor and graphics packages you use I could probably replace them. On completion it will then be time to defrag and tune again :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.