Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no boot

• Please log in to reply

steve farmery

steve farmery

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I had the problem where my system would get to the log on page of xp, I would enter my password and it would immediatly go to shutdown, also in safe mode too. I re loaded xp to fix it...this it did for one boot only...it froze when opening ie explorer and now on boot it looks at the dvd drives.....the HD light comes on, stays on.. and then nothing, no beeps, no bios messages, no nothing......just a blank screen with the hd light permenently on.........wont boot from xp cd either...even though the dvd light flashes to show it is looking at the drive..unlucky or what....my guess is the mother board is trashed or at the very least the bios, my colleague says the HD is faulty.........any ideas other than that please..... :tazz:

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Check your BIOS settings to make sure your DVD drive is set as a bootable drive.

You may let the PC sit on that blank screen for a while and see what happens. Who knows, it may actually be doing something. If it stays in that state for more than 30 minutes or so though, I would say you definately have a problem.

Use an old 98 boot disk to delete and recreate the partitions on your physical drive. Format and then try installing Windows again.

Let us know what you come up with.

steve farmery

steve farmery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi There.

Thanks but I cant check anything as it sits there with the blank screen for a very long time, I left it for over an hour and still the blank screen, and hd light on ...wouldnt read from the floppy either......it just looks at each dvd drive....then the hd then nothing, nothing comes up on the screen at any time..cant get to the bios settings at any time.......kinda tells me the Bios or mainboard are trashed.....

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Try this:

Unplug your PC from the wall. Press the power button to remove any leftover power. Remove the IDE cable from the HD. Plug in your power cable and turn on the PC. What do you get then?

steve farmery

steve farmery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Tried that too....exactly the same symptoms whether the hd is connected or not..tried without the memory in too....still the same....

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Well, now I'm at a loss buddy. It sounds like your MB crapped out you to me. The good news, however, is that your HD is probably still good thus preventing you from loosing any valuable data if you didn't perform a backup before your troubles began.

Before purchasing a MB though....I would give your post some time on this forum. Someone may come along and be able to assist you with your issue. Until then, try using the "Search" feature at the top of the screen.

Good luck. I'll check back on this post in a day or so and see what comes of your issue.

Sorry I was unable to assist you. :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Are you getting a "POST" screen at all??

Murray

steve farmery

steve farmery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks ...

You actually have assisted me more than you may think as I was very worried re losing my data and something was telling me the hd was ok but MB was trashed.........you have confirmed my suspicions...the pc is still under warrenty so will talk to them re the MB.......

Thanks again for your replies....

steve farmery

steve farmery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Howdy:

Are you getting a "POST" screen at all??

Murray

View Post

Hi Murray.

I get absolutly nothing at all......just a blank screen...although if I look very close in the dark it is very slightly red with the flyback lines ....so no video input to the monitor either.... :tazz:

Edited by steve farmery, 24 April 2005 - 09:09 AM.

steve farmery

steve farmery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
;) I got my pc back up and running thanks guys n gals.... ;)

Some virus which Norton ( Updated ! ) didn't detect trashed my HD apparantly...I got it back from the shop and performing dismally ...loadsa drivers missing & corrupt....so I did a Format and re install and now all is well.....except that I didnt back uo my .pst file correctly and only got a about 1/1000 th of it so lost ALL of my e mails........Duh....anyhow thanks all for the excellent advice and help..now running Panda Antivirus and Ad Aware se...Both dam excellent ... :tazz: