Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I suppress boot messages?

• Please log in to reply

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I just had a new "Energy" MOBO (not sure of model--nothing on paper indicates) installed and I'm getting boot-up messages that I wasn't getting before. I could have sworn I had seen a setting in the BIOS before to suppress such messages, but I don't see it in there now. I assume that a new MOBO means a new BIOS. Is it possible there's no way to suppress the messages with this MOBO?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Personally I hate logos filling up my BIOS screen. I'd rather see what the computer was doing at each pointer rather than having to flick between the logo and the boot messages to diagnose something.
If this option is available on your board, it will be in the BIOS, usually under an option of either "Quiet Boot" or "Display Full Screen Logo".

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Well, when one has a problem, one can suppress the logo/enable the messages, otherwise, why witness all the "noise" ad nauseum for the once in a blue moon error event? I find it mildly annoying to see the messages and very annoying to know the vendor did not include the option to choose their display or suppression.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Each to their own.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I agree with Neil Jones

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
A MoBo with no "Quiet" option is better than one that you can toggle between "Quiet" and "Noisy"? Would you also like to see the millions of instructions executing every second whenever you're using your machine so that when there's a problem once a year you'll see exactly what was going on? Wouldn't it make more sense to have a trace facility that you can turn on or off as required?

Anyway, thanks for your time and input.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....you actually sit in front of the computer while it boots? that's when i go fill my coffee cup

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Funny you should say that...

A bunch of things (apps) broke as a result of them putting in the new MoBo; too many to mention, most of which I have fixed, but one good effect is that the boot used to take about two minutes (I used to go get coffee, too). In fact, I had opened a ticket here about the excessively long boot time. Now, it's faster than it has ever been. I'm down to two cups of coffee a day! LOL