Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need to revert back to Internet Explorer version 6 from IE7

• Please log in to reply

Aunt Sally

Aunt Sally

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
Has anyone else had troubles uninstalling IE7 to go back to IE6? I have tried going via "Add or Remove Programs" in the Control Panel; it says I have sucessfully uninstalled IE7, and that after a reboot, IE6 will be there instead. However IE7 is there after all!!! I have a web application that I must use for work and it is not yet compatible with IE7. (pity, I really like IE7).

Any ideas?

Sally

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Instead of rolling back to IE 6, get Firefox and install the IETab extension and try your program that way. Also, try downloading and installing an IE equivalent browser called Maxthon. Maxthon may work fine with your program since it uses the same engine.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 16 March 2008 - 11:15 PM.

Aunt Sally

Aunt Sally

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Major Payne,
Thanks for helping me out. I do appreciate it.

Why can't I just roll back to IE6?

1. Firefox (via the link) installs version 2.0.0.12 ... and that wont work with the site I need.. it detects that something other than IE is being used.

2. The IE Tab (version 1.5.20080310) will only work with Firefox versions 3.0b3 to 3.0b5pre, and so cannot be used.

3. Maxthon uses the same browser engine (i.e. IE7) and so that wont work with the site I need.. it detects that IE7 is being used.

Sally

BravoZulu

BravoZulu

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Here you go.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Major Payne,
Thanks for helping me out. I do appreciate it.

Why can't I just roll back to IE6?

1. Firefox (via the link) installs version 2.0.0.12 ... and that wont work with the site I need.. it detects that something other than IE is being used.

Didn't say Firefox would work by itself. I have IETab with FF 2.0.0.12 and it works fine when I have to use IE for a site. Possibly not for another program is the snag

2. The IE Tab (version 1.5.20080310) will only work with Firefox versions 3.0b3 to 3.0b5pre, and so cannot be used.

This was the correct link for this extension. (IE Tab latest version is 1.3.3, you can download it from the following link: https://addons.mozil.../firefox/1419/), but apparently the author changed it although I still have it installed and working under version 1.3.3. It WILL work. Trying to find why the change.

3. Maxthon uses the same browser engine (i.e. IE7) and so that wont work with the site I need.. it detects that IE7 is being used.

I have both IE 7 and Maxthon installed. With Maxthon open only, it should work as if IE 7 is not there.

Possibly the file extensions for your application at work needs to be pointed to Maxthon other than IE. You should be able to re-install IE 6 from the Add/Remove Utility by using the Windows Components window and not the Add/Remove Programs window.

Related:

Download-only installation of Internet Explorer 6.0, Internet Explorer 5.5, or Internet Explorer 5.1 in Windows XP or in Windows 2000

Download Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1

Sally

Ron