Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't delete Trend Micro Anti-Virus

• Please log in to reply

CarolynWD

CarolynWD

• Pip
  • 8 posts
"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

I am NOT running Windows in safe mode; I was told that before I should download a different anti-virus program that I should delete what I had and that is PC-Cillin (Trend Micro).

I have Windows Installer 3.1 and when I clicked on THAT, it was very confusing to say the least.

It also had KB893803 in parentheses after "Windows Installer 3.1"

Thought I should see if a regular program could be deleted and I was able to do that without any problem.

Please advise.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello CarolynWD,
Some of the security softwares are hard to get rid of.
Usually you must use an uninstall program for that software.
Here are directions to uninstall Trend-Micro's security software.
I think that the error message that you are getting is because the software is fighting the uninstall.

CarolynWD

CarolynWD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sad to say I have had no luck. I have a really old version of PC-CILLIN.....Trend Micro™ PC-cillin™ Antivirus 2004 (Build 2006, Version 11.26)......

I tried another spot to delete this thing and got the following:
"Error Deleting File or Folder" "Cannot delete icuin18.dll; Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

I can certainly open up the whole program and can see "icuin18.dll" and I have NOT tried to just delete that one part. Obviously I do NOT want to mess up my computer....I just want this program GONE!

Had transferred it from an older computer nearly 2 years ago....if that makes any difference.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
The program is running :)
  • Click on the start button.
  • Select run.
  • Type msconfig.
  • Select start up
  • Look for any programs that have trend-micro, or pen-acilin, and remove the check mark.
After you restart the computer a window will pop up, select do not show this again.
Try to remove the program again.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to uninstall the program in safe mode.

If that doesn't work download UnLocker from the list of links below. Install it, go to Add/Remove programs in Control Panel, or go to All Programs in Start menu, right-click the program and delete it.

If that doesn't work download KillBox and run it. Browse for the file, check Standard File Kill and click the red circle with white X. If this doesn't work Check Delete on Reboot and click the red circle.

CarolynWD

CarolynWD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Went to "msconfig" and unchecked things under "startup".....by the way, I can recall going to "msconfig" many times with my older computer and on that one I NEVER had everything checked; I wonder how much SHOULD really be checked?! (but I digress...)

Tried to delete the program again and was unable to do so. SO I went back to "msconfig" and went to "services" and deleted: "Trend NT Realtime Service" and "Trend Micro Proxy Service"

I then tried again to delete the program. This time I got a NEW "cannot delete" message: Cannot delete Tmdshell.dll; access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full (etc. etc......just like the first message)

Have NOT tried anything else at this point in time. Thanks for your suggestions.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am afraid that you can complicate things further. A program should be removed as a whole, not in bits and pieces.

CarolynWD

CarolynWD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Are you saying that I should not have gone the "msconfig" route at all?

Must admit that I have never done anything (or TRIED to do anything) in "safe mode" and am not sure how easy (or difficult) it is.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Uninstalling in safe mode is just one of three options that I suggested. It is done very simply: Go into Safe Mode. In Control Panel enter Add/Remove Programs option and choose to remove the program (Trend Micro or whatever it will be called). If you can't find it there then look for it in Start > All Programs. If there is an uninstall option please use it.

If not successful try UnLocker or KillBox (in this order).

CarolynWD

CarolynWD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I THINK I am "getting there".....but WHERE?!?!? =)

To catch you up, SAFE MODE did not work at all. I then downloaded UnLocker. When I went to "My Computer" I was able to delete it and THOUGHT it was GONE. However, when I go to the "Control Panel" it's still there and says the usual: "The WIndows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are funning Windows in safe mode or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

BUT when I do a "search" through files and put in the word "trend" NOW nothing comes up related to the anti-virus program. (Earlier....before I delted it in "My Computer" I DID get "trend" to come up and it was the anti-virus program.)

SO is the thing gone or not? IF it IS gone, why can't I get rid of it under "Control Panel"....

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you delete the program from My Computer? Could you write down the exact path to what you deleted?

CarolynWD

CarolynWD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I DID delete the program from "My Computer" because that seemed to be the only spot that allowed me the option to use the UnLocker. I selected "My Computer" and went to hard drive C. I then chose "Program Files." I honestly don't remember what the name of the file was....whether it was "Trend Micro" or "PC-CILLIN" or a combination of that. Bottom line is that in the process of trying to delete it, the option came up to use the UnLocker and that is what I did and only then COULD I delete the program.

It just seems odd to me that the program is certainly no longer listed under "My Computer" and is not coming up when doing a "search" through the files, BUT still appears in "Control Panel."

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
This can happen.
I have manualy removed programs, yet they where still listed in Add and remove programs.
If you go to Add and remove programs, and select to remove a program that is no longer on your computer, you should get a messege that states the program has already been removed, and "would you like to remove this program from this list?"

CarolynWD

CarolynWD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Please reread post #10; it certainly sounds as if the program is still there "somehow."

I do NOT get a message that the program has already been removed.....I wish I did!! =)

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
After rereading some of the post I see that you deleted a folder off of your hard drive.
Programs may have more than one folder, with different names, on the hard drive.
You removed part of the program, but some folders are still there.
(I think this is what the skeptic was trying to find out).
It may be wise to ask for help from a malware expert at this time, as they know more about security software.
I will ask.