Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yahoo emails not getting through

• Please log in to reply

Dansolo1

Dansolo1

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hiya,
For the past few days, I have been unable to receive emails sent to me by my friend who used Yahoo mail (yahoo.co.uk).
I have sent several to him and he has received them, but when he sends replies or new emails to me they just don't reach me.

They don't appear as spam or anything.

I'm using Windows Vista Email, and my email account is with NTL (virgin in the UK). I have marked his email address as a "safe sender". I have set my pop account to allow all mail through, and I am receiving junk / spam mail from yahoo.co.uk accounts but not the ones from my friend. According to him they have been sent succesfully.

I did notice Vista had an Update, for Windows Mail Junk E-mail Filter [March 2008] (KB905866)

Could this be affecting it ?

As far as I am aware everyone is sending me email fine.

I have'nt made any changes, and I was recieving mail from my friend before last Thursday without a problem.

Any ideas ?

Dan.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Contact the provider, a lot of providers are filtering out emails from free email providers like Yahoo for reasons of spam. AOL went through a period where they ended up blocking pretty much everybody else from sending to AOL addresses.

Dansolo1

Dansolo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I rang my provider NTL (Virgin Media). After several long minutes on an expensive technical support line they said they weren't aware of any issues and hadn't implemented any new changes recently.
In other words they couldn't help me.

Asuming it was a NTL / Virgin problem I set up a Yahoo account. The same problem happens I send mail to my friend who also has a Yahoo account and they never recieve it.
They try to send on back and I don't get it either !

Yet I can send and receive emails to and from both my accounts with out issue. ( Ie. Send email to my NTL account from my Yahoo account and vice versa)

Something is wrong somewhere.

Confused
Dan.

AlErT

AlErT

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
which email client you are using and can you tell some of settings which you are using in your email client

Dansolo1

Dansolo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi Yea,
I using windows Vista.
with the Windows Mail (version 6) email application.

Account is setup through broadband connection
Outgoing server is using port 25
Incoming server is using port 110

My friend is using Yahoo mail via the yahoo website. The same is true for my Yahoo account.

Seems strange that I can send and recieve emails between my two accounts without a problem but getting mail through to my friend has suddenly stopped working.

To the best of my knowedge, other mail from family and friends is working fine.

Not entirely sure the problem is at my end.

Dan.

AlErT

AlErT

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
i dont know the exact problem but according to my info that yahoo accounts with domain .uk and .com are not free and they dont work with email clients . can u access the mails send by your friend from yahoo website
if yes then let me know i wud get you soution

thanks

Dansolo1

Dansolo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
My NTL / Virgin account is accessed through Windows Mail.

The new Yahoo.co.uk account I created the other day is accessed via the Yahoo website.
So far my friend hasn't receieved any emails I have sent using yahoo nor have I received any they have sent.

Everything was working fine until the other day, when I stopped being able to recieve emails sent from Yahoo in Windows Mail (They just dissappered)
Thinking it was a provider issue I set up the Yahoo account. Thinking both people on the same provider shouldn't be a problem. But no.

Dan.

AlErT

AlErT

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Try doing the following:

Go into your WinMail
Select the Tools menu
drop down & select "Accounts"
Highlight your ISP Server & click on "Properties button.

From the top of the next window, select the "Server" tab
Towards the bottom of the screen you will see "My server requires
authentication"
(TICK THIS BOX)

Then click on "Apply"
Then click on "OK"

Hopefully that should work.

Dansolo1

Dansolo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hiya,

Read through what you said and from what you are telling me, the tick box is linked to "outgoing" mail.

I can send emails fine, the problem is recieving emails from my friend.

Will this help resolve incoming mail problems ?

AlErT

AlErT

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
i hope so give try but i cant understand that how it can be possible
that you r receiveing emails from other .uk accounts but not from your friend.and according to you that u have put ur friend as safe sender so try these steps and let me know if they work or not
thanks

AlErT

AlErT

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
hello
after long search i am hoping that i get the solution

just check the link below and i hope it might be same problem in your case

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926374

let me know wat u think abt this

thanks

Edited by AlErT, 26 March 2008 - 01:52 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

i dont know the exact problem but according to my info that yahoo accounts with domain .uk and .com are not free and they dont work with email clients . can u access the mails send by your friend from yahoo website

With all due respect, your information is wrong.
Yahoo Mail is still free on the websites (co.uk and .com), however newer accounts don't benefit from POP3 access through programs like Outlook Express and Thunderbird and so on. Legacy free accounts that had POP3 access before continue to have it.

AlErT

AlErT

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

With all due respect, your information is wrong.
Yahoo Mail is still free on the websites (co.uk and .com), however newer accounts don't benefit from POP3 access through programs like Outlook Express and Thunderbird and so on. Legacy free accounts that had POP3 access before continue to have it.

Respected neil jones
plz read carefully what i am saying that domain .uk and .com are not free and thhey dont work with email clients.
and you are saying same thing that newer accounts don't benefit from POP3 access through programs like Outlook Express and Thunderbird and so on because for this we have to pay yahoo

thanks

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I just signed up for a yahoo.com email address and didn't pay a cent. I talked to someone from the UK who just signed up for a yahoo.co.uk account and didn't pay a frank (or whatever).

Neil Jones is absolutely correct. The email accounts from Yahoo are still (and probably always will be) free. Yahoo cant charge for an email service when Google and Microsoft (and a bazillion others) are giving this service away for free.

Lets move this back on topic now shall we?

AlErT

AlErT

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
If you want to use Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird or other third party email clients to view your email you have 2
Subscribe to mail plus:
http://billing.mail....om/bm/Upgrade...

for more details click following link

http://help.yahoo.co...pop/pop-30.html

please check the above links so that you can understand what i want to explain.

thanks