Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help with loss of all sound problem

• Please log in to reply

ColinJ

ColinJ

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello people, I have a problem with the sound (or lack of it) coming from my pc. I believe my pc was infected with quite alot of Spyware and viruses so I went through the G2G cleanup process yesterday. However, for some reason there is no sound at all coming from my speakers now. The only sound is a bleep that comes from the actual tower.

In 'sound and devices' it says I have a 'standard game port' but under 'Volume' it says there is no audio device and under the audio tab it says 'no playback devices' and all the options under both tabs are greyed out.

My os is windows xp pro version 2002 sp2

If some1 could please tell me what I could do to get the audio devices working again I would really appreciate it

Thanks in advance for any help

Colin

Advertisements

BravoZulu

BravoZulu

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Reinstalling the audio driver that came with your PC (integrated or a stand alone sound card) would be what I would try first.

ColinJ

ColinJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the advice BravoZulo, but unfotunately I have bought my PC second hand, and I do not have the original disk for the audio driver

Could any1 please offer anymore suggestions??

BravoZulu

BravoZulu

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Sure. Download Everest Home Edition (free) and then when it's setup open the app and click on "summary" to get and overview of what your systems specifications are, including the audio subsystem (eg realtek ALC 850 AC97), then we'll go from there. While your at it you might as well open the side of the case and look at the motherboard and see if you can spot the model of the motherboard -- usually listed somewhere around the PCI/PCIe/AGP slots. This way we can look at Everest, and also look at the actual hardware to see if can nail down the type, and model of motherboard. It may be an OEM (eg Dell, HP) variant but many times (in HP's-Compaq case anyway not Dells) they use model numbers that are VERY close to the retail versions -- differing only in the bios usually.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
BravoZulu, if the driver is not installed then Everest usually won't tell you anything about the device.

ColinJ, what you can do is go into Device manager and look for anything with a Yellow mark. That will most likely be your Sound card. Double click on it, then click on the Details page. You will see a line similar to this:

PCI\VEN_xxxx&DEV_xxxx&..........

Use that string (PCI\VEN_xxxx&DEV_xxxx) to do a Google Search and you should be able to find the make and model number of your sound card or integrated controller. Once you know that you should be able to find the right driver for it.

If you need more help, please post the following:
  • Make and model of computer
  • PCI\VEN_xxxx&DEV_xxxx data as shown above.

Edited by Ztruker, 22 March 2008 - 01:26 PM.

BravoZulu

BravoZulu

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

BravoZulu, if the driver is not installed then Everest usually won't tell you anything about the device.

ColinJ, what you can do is go into Device manager and look for anything with a Yellow mark. That will most likely be your Sound card. Double click on it, then click on the Details page. You will see a line similar to this:

PCI\VEN_xxxx&DEV_xxxx&..........

Use that string (PCI\VEN_xxxx&DEV_xxxx) to do a Google Search and you should be able to find the make and model number of your sound card or integrated controller. Once you know that you should be able to find the right driver for it.

If you need more help, please post the following:

• Make and model of computer
  • PCI\VEN_xxxx&DEV_xxxx data as shown above.

And many times you'll see the same thing if you just poke into the device manager looking for that yellow question mark unless the driver had previously been loaded, and in that case (if the driver was previously loaded) Everest will also show the audio subsystem (usually). You can look in the device manager, and in Everest -- if no joy (not listed) then that's why I suggested looking directly at the motherboard itself for the motherboard model number *example* -- or if the PC is an OEM Dell, Compaq, eMachines etc.. and it clearly has a model number on the case then usually all one need to do is google the model number and look for the specification of the machine and it will have that, and the audio driver listed in the download section.

ColinJ

ColinJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello guys, thankyou very much for your assistance, and my apologies for taking so long to respond. I have been ofline for a while, for various reasons, which I wont bore u with

I have checked the device manager for my pc and there are 2 yellow exclamation marks. One was on the under 'display adapters'... Nividia Geforce 4 MX 440 and the other was under 'other devices'... the Multimedia Controller. I have taken screen prints of the properties for each item

Here is the properties for the Gforce...
Posted Image

and here for the mutimedia controller...
Posted Image

The PC I am using is..

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
2.08 GHZ
1 GB RAM
Windows XP pro SP 2

and on the front of the tower it says 'powered by ASUS'

I would really appreciate it if some1 could help me to sort out this problem

Thanks in advance for any help