Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer slow-oh at start up

• Please log in to reply

Nervous Nelly

Nervous Nelly

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Now remember, I am a tender root. Not entirely green, not even today- but clueless to computer techno babble. and too old. :) Be gentle.

I use Word, htmlKit, the Internet and email a LOT- I do not spend much time in places like the Administrative tools. I do the usual simple maintenance

My computer Windows xp is starting very slowly, especially when trying to dial up and access my Office Outlook. But also in Word and other places. It gets marginally better as the day goes on.

I've done a scan disk, defrag, (I have tons of space), ran checks on modem and drivers, and used Windows Care tools. In there, I selected to 'go back' to my earlier settings. I lost my internet isp settings. After 3 calls, I simply reversed my computer 4 days and got everything back, including the slowness.

I checked startup files and found only two that are turned off. I only have one item on automatic schedule. I did, however, install a newer version of Norton's in January. I'm not sure I've had problems that long, but maybe accumulative. I think its a pain anyway.

I do have a lot of files I am accessing daily, mostly through my html kit, preparing to upload new webpages.

I've received a few error messages that seem to be not anything crucial. I looked at the Event Viewer, and mostly did not understand what I was looking at. But I saw IPSec Services has experienced a critical failure and has shut down with an error code (I did not see).
and - boot-start or system-start driver failed to load SAVRTPEL. There were others, but they seemed harmless and related to programs I deleted. Oh yeah - I have a constant message at start up that the computer 'can't find a scanner' I dumped sometime ago. I've tried finding the nugget that apparently still exists, but the 'computer can't find it.'

Ok, am I looking at a war zone or what? :)

What say you, oh great and wise geek people? :) I have great respect for you all!

Love yas
Nervous Nelly :)

please email me if you're not overwhelmingly busy.

Advertisements