Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Previous Copy of XP not recognized by new copy

• Please log in to reply

DBacon

DBacon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Everyone,

Here's what happened.

About 2 months ago I loaded a fresh copy of XP onto my second harddrive. So I had an original copy on the C drive, and a new copy on E.

I was using the E copy and everything was great.

I decided I no longer needed the C copy anymore. So I deleted it and formatted it using the harddrive's format utility through DOS (this was probably a bad idea).

I then tried to load my computer, and I got "Cannot Find OS"

I realized looking at the BIOS that it was trying to start the PC off of C. The BIOS refuses to let me choose E drive as the startup instead of C, so I thought I'd just load a basic copy of Windows onto C again that I'd keep near as clean as possible so that I'd always have a backup.

I loaded XP onto C, and it loads just fine. The problem is that it won't give me the option to load windows from E anymore.

When I load from the XP Disk, it gives me the option to choose E to repair, but fixboot and bootcfg cannot find E:\Windows as an OS option.

I tried to repair by reinstall, but it won't find E:\Windows either.

How do I get my E:\Windows back? I really don't want to have to transfer everything back over to C:\Windows.

I can only see the boot.ini for C:\windows which doesn't have anything for the E: copy.

Please Help!

Thanks!

Edited by DBacon, 17 March 2008 - 10:09 AM.

Advertisements