Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Attemptying to restore Windows XP (I have the original disc)

• Please log in to reply

dnize

dnize

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I was going to try and restore my PC to it's factory settings but when I tried to reboot with the Windows XP disc it says I am currantly using a newer version? This PC was bought at a computer Store who built it for me.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
More than likely you ( or someone somewhere along) Added The SR2 release to your operating system , which was the SR1 system. Because of this your recovery Cd sees the OS as a newer system.

http://www.michaelst.../xpfaq.html#029

Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.

You get this message when upgrading, loading Recovery Console or doing an in place upgrade from Windows, when you use a pre-SP2 XP CD on an XP installation that has been updated to SP2.

You have the options listed below.

1. Remove the SP2 update.
2. Create a slipstreamed XP CD merging the SP2 update.
2a Autostreamer for creating a slipstreamed CD the easy way.
3. Purchase an XP CD with SP2 included.

SRX660

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
another option is to format the drive so the old version is not even seen by the restore disk..
make sure you have the keycode written down somewhere in case it wants you to input the key

Edited by happyrck, 17 March 2008 - 01:36 PM.

dnize

dnize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for the response. How do I go about to format the drive? The key codes are the ones on the microsoft xp sticker on my tower? Is it just as easy to uninstall SP2? Appreciate the help.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Make sure your key code is the one that has 5 sets of 5 numbers and letters in it. The key code that has the letters OEM in it will not work. Magic Jellybean finder program can give you your computers key code niumbers that you can write down and reuse. Just run the magic jellybean program while windows XP is running.

Microsoft SR2 removal
http://support.micro...ct=windowsxpsp2

I did not have any good luck using the SR2 removal process and ended up doing a reformat and clean install of XP on the computers i tried doing this.

http://www.michaelst...nxpinstall.html

SRX660

dnize

dnize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
So I tried to uninstall SP2 but it was nowhere to be found. Is it possible that when I had my computer back for warranty repairs they installed a newer version of windows XP? I've tried the insructions for the "Clean Install of Windows XP" but I don't understand the instructions regarding how I determine the BIOS if it is booting from the hard drive first. Thanks for the help so far and appreciate your patience in my lack of knowledge.
Regards,
Don

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the instructions here are for using wipedrive but they will work to show you how to change the boot order to set it to boot from the cd drive...

dnize

dnize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well I followed your instructions and it worked perfect...thanks for the help. One litle thing has happened since the restore. When I was doing the windows updates, about the time it installed SP2 my cursor now has dots and lines around it. Does anyone know what might have caused This? Not a big issue I guess, but if I can fix it before I reinstall all my "stuff" it would be great.

Anyways thanks for the help...you guys are a great for a guy like me.

Regards
Don

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
great on getting it working.. :)

click on start...control panel...mouse...pointer tab...select what you want..click ok

dnize

dnize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for the reply. I tried what you sugested but even when I change the pointers they still have these what looks like three vertical rows of dots attached. I tried many different ones same result.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Check the Pointer Options tab, make sure Display pointer trails is unchecked.

dnize

dnize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I unchecked pointer trails and it added a few dots not really any differance.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
post a screen shot..if your using a fancy mouse with lots of bells and whistles ..reinstall the drivers
try a different mouse...

dnize

dnize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I'm sorry but how do I post a screen shot?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lowdown here..