Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SERVICES.MSC

• Please log in to reply

eos620

eos620

• Pip
  • 1 posts
.....i did a dumb thing, i should be shot and hung by the old oak tree.i should know better then to delete a file, like this one.......i deleted services.msc...how do i get this back...what happen was...everytime i type in services.msc, in the run box, i would get a message ,that wanted me to pick a program from the list, to open it up. i did this, but it didn`t work..so, in my state of mind.i deleted services.msc.in the system32, thinking i could download a new one...can i download this file, if so, where do i go to do it..if i can`t download this...WHAT DO I DO?. PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!!.....oh by the way, i`m running xp home sp2..........thanks for the help......tony

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
The best plan at this point would be to do a "scannow" procedure.
This explains: http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html

SFC (System File Check) will scan your Windows installation for missing files. When it finds something missing, it will ask you to insert your XP CD. The good news is that for this procedure any compatible XP CD will do. (Pro/Home)

Each time Windows does find and replace a missing file, it seems to think it may be finished.
Press RETRY as often as required until the procedure is complete.

Services are also displayed in the Computer Management section of Administrative Tools. I do not know if this console is dependent upon the services.msc file or not. Curiously, there is no copy of services.msc in the dllcache of system32. (Nor any .msc file)
I have therefore placed a copy of them all in there myself for safekeeping against this sort of misfortune.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.