Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replace motherboard on OLD Computer

• Please log in to reply

jasonculp

jasonculp

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I need a little assistance….well really advice.

My current system:
  • Is OLD
  • AMD Athlon XP 1500+
  • 2.5 GB Ram
  • XP Pro
  • 2 old GeForce Cards
  • 2 old CRT’s
  • IDE Disk Drives

I am having a few problems, and my system is slow. I am not a gamer. I do a little photo editing - cropping/printing (only when my wife makes me). I do quite a bit of database/spread sheet work. Do a lot of GeekU stuff too.

I would like to bring this old PC at least up to the year 2000.

What I was wanting to do is to replace the Mother Board and Processor and keep the Hard Drive. This has really turned into more than I wanted. I am currently saving up to do a complete build but I am not ready to do it at this time. I will use this computer as a 3rd string backup when I get my new one built!

I was hoping to do this without a reinstall of XP until I get some stuff backed up…

What I want is a cheap/good:
  • Case
  • Power Supply
  • Mother Board
  • Processor
  • Memory
  • Video Card/s

Trying to keep the price down….so I have more to spend later. It wouldn't take much to be a lot better than what I have!

Any Ideas?

Jason

Advertisements

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Cheap can mean different things to different people. What price budget are you looking at?

jasonculp

jasonculp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
$500 - $600

Well that really isn't what I call cheap....but when I price all of the parts for the new computer.....

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
I'm assuming your hard drive is ATA? If that's the case, I would honostly consider building an entirely new system now which can be upgraded when needed. I personally believe you're wasting your money if you're going to buy $600 worth of obsolete hardware just so you don't need to replace your hard drive.

Here's what I would suggest, for $600 you can build a computer that is in the current standards (SATA, PCI Express etc...). You could most likely get by with spending less than $600 since you're not going to be doing any heavy duty tasks, such as gaming, on it.

Motherboard - $90
Graphics Card - $90 (It has more than enough power for your needs)
RAM - $43 (MUCH faster than DDR RAM which Is what I'm guessing you're still using.)
CPU - $125
500GB HD - $95 (you can always get a smaller hard drive for less money but it would be a much smarter choice to stick with a 500GB HD that's around $100 instead of a GOOD250gb HD that's $60-$80.)
430W PSU - $40
Case - $70 (you can find cheaper cases but this is a pretty nice one for $70)
SATA DVD burner/drive - $30

Total price = $583.

jasonculp

jasonculp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
reconman,

This is almost identical to what I was coming up with! I was really stuck on the graphics card. I have been out of the loop for so long on computer hardware, I didn't know what to do.

I am slowly buying all of my software that I have lost in the move (that is why I havn't done this sooner) it all needed upgrading anyway!

Thank you again for all of your help!

Jason

jasonculp

jasonculp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Graphics Card- $90 (It has more than enough power for your needs)

Will this work with my 2 old VGA monitors?

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
I think you should get these instead:
Power Supply - Corsair 450W - $69.99 after rebate
DVD-writer - Pioneer - $28.99
RAM - Muskin 2GB - $54.99
Case - Coolermaster CM690 - $79.99

And maybe a smaller capacity hard drive so you're not over the budget.
Case is something you should pick yourself, I just recommended the one above because I have it and its a great case, you can get some cheap one as well to stay in budget.

Edited by kamille316, 18 March 2008 - 10:00 AM.

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Graphics Card- $90 (It has more than enough power for your needs)

Will this work with my 2 old VGA monitors?

Well, it comes with a DVI to VGA/D-sub Adapter so I'm assuming it would but I would email Sapphire and ask to be sure.

jasonculp

jasonculp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thanks reconman and kamille316 for all of your help! I basically combined all 3 of our ideas to make what I think will be a great computer. It also looks like this setup will have plenty of room to grow. I ended up spending $ 900 after it was all said and done. I bought a new router and some software. It really adds up, but with y'alls help the computer itself was only $682.

Thanks again,

Jason