Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My CDROM wont work

• Please log in to reply

snoopdog902003

snoopdog902003

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, all of the sudden my cdrom stopped working. i have no idea why. It stills turns on, opens and shuts, but wont read discs, under device manager the cdrom is still listed. i even tried taking my pc apart and unplugging the cd rom and replugging it back in. but it still wont work. i think somethings wrong with the reader because it stills turns on and make liights up and on the device manager. this is my cd rom............ http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827106055 please help, ty for your time

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Its easier to replace the drive than to try troubleshooting it. The only thing i might try is a cdrom drive cleaning kit. The kit helps once in a great while but usually does not fix drives. Cdrom drives are one of the best sellers of all parts sold at my shop.

SRX660

snoopdog902003

snoopdog902003

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Alright, looks like ill have to get a new one but i have no idea which one to get. this is the one i have now my current cd rom drive . it doesnt have to be the same brand just do everything it does. hopefully no more then 30$. Also i dunno where it would connect to on my motherboard, a little help on that would be nice too. heres my motherboard... my motherboard

Ty for your help

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you possibly can try troubleshooting the drive first. The data cable may be suspect here, so try a new cable. You can always return the cable if it does not help. I am lucky that i have a shop so i have access to many parts to test with. A second thing you can do is to remove the device in Device manager and reboot the computer. Windows should see the drive and reinstall the cdrom drivers for the drive. If windows does not see the drive it is dead. The drive Partially works simply because there is power to the drive and that part is not damaged. It may be the electronics part of the drive is damaged and the drive will never burn cd's or DVD's again. I personally prefer the NEC or Pioneer DVD-RW drives over the Lite-on because they are quieter and a bit better quality.

http://www.newegg.co...=CD-DVD-Burners

Even a samsung DVD-RW is slightly better than the Lite-on. but the price of any anywill always be in the $30-40 range.

snoopdog902003

snoopdog902003

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well i tried troubleing shooting with a new cable and device manager thing. it still installed but it wouldnt read discs, so i went to officemax and got a new one(Cost me 60$). Everytihng works fine now, thanks for your advice