Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB AND OTHER HARDWARE NOT CONNECTING TO COMPUTER

• Please log in to reply

sweetz

sweetz

• Pip
  • 5 posts
CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEASE??
WHEN I PLUG IN ANYTHING THROUGH THE USB PORT MY COMPUTER DOES NOT DETECT IT....
IT ALSO DOES NOT DETECT THE PRINTER OR SCANNER... I HAVE NO IDEA WHY??
I PLUGGED THEM ALL IN RIGHT, I EVEN UNPLUGGED EVERYTHING AND REPLUGGED IT BACK IN...
IT JUST HAPPENED ONE DAY OUT OF NO WHERE, I WANTED TO PRINT BUT THE COMPUTER DOES NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY HARDWARE IS CONNECTED TO IT....

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
first off please do not use all caps.... it's generally considered to be shouting... second have you looked in the device manager to see if anything is listed under usb? Did this happen after plugging in something new or removing something recently?

sweetz

sweetz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes I checked, but the computer just doesn't acknowledge anything at all. Not anything from the usb or even the printer. And I haven't plugged anything new in at all, or removed anything.
I just tried hooking up an ipod and it would not acknowledge it. The same with a camera.
I actually thought it could be virus related because around the time it started I was having a lot of problems with spyware.

Edited by sweetz, 20 March 2008 - 04:05 AM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well it is possible that some malware is causing the problem but you could also check setup to see if the usb is enabled... yes I've seen it just turn off ( usually after surge ) you should also go to device manager and see if it lists anything for universal serial bus controllers... it's also possible that one of your usb devices surged or backfed the controller and blew it out...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point
and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during
the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG

You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
1)Filename : fix.reg

2)Save as type: all files
3)Encoding: ANSI
If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be
fixcd.reg.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result.

-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------

REGEDIT4
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\Environment]"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------
save it to your desktop..

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.

Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished.
Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse...plug in PS/2 style keyboard and mouse

Edited by happyrck, 20 March 2008 - 10:54 AM.

sweetz

sweetz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Under USB controllers all it lists is:

-Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
-Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
-Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
-USB Root Hub
-USB Root Hub
-USB Root Hub

Do I uninstall these?

And if something surged or backfed then what do I have to do?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this was covered

Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.