Hello JCS, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
To resolve the problem, repair the installation of Windows XP by using the Windows XP CD, and then replace the files. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive or in the DVD drive.
2. Restart your computer.
3. When you receive the following message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD:
Press any key to start from CD
Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD drive or from the DVD drive, see the documentation that came with your personal computer. Alternatively, contact the manufacturer.
4. When you receive the following message, press R to start the Recovery Console. This part of the Setup program prepares Windows XP to run on your computer.To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation by using Recovery Console, press R.
To exit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
5. Press 1 to access your primary drive installation by using the Recovery Console.
6. When you are prompted, type the administrator password. If you do not have an administrator password, press ENTER.
7. Type cd %SystemRoot%\System32, and then press ENTER.
8. Rename the following files by using the REN command. To do this, type REN File_Name.extensionFile_Name.old at the command prompt. Wpa.dbl
Note This file is located in the following subfolder:
Note In the previous command, File_Name.extension represents the new file name. Additionally, File_Name.old represents the old file name.
9. Type the drive letter of the CD drive together with a colon, and then press ENTER. For example, you type D:, and then press ENTER.
10. Type cd i386, and then press ENTER.
11. Type the following commands individually. Press ENTER after each command: Expand licwmi.dl_ %Systemroot%\System32\licwmi.dll
Expand regwizc.dl_ %Systemroot%\System32\regwizc.dll
Expand licdll.dl_ %Systemroot%\System32\licdll.dll
Expand wpabaln.ex_ %Systemroot%\System32\wpabaln.exe
Expand wpa.db_ %Systemroot%\System32\wpa.dbl
Expand actshell.ht_ %Systemroot%\System32\oobe\actshell.htm
Copy pidgen.dll %Systemroot%\System32
12. Type Exit, and then press ENTER to restart the computer.