Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to connect via DSL

• Please log in to reply

acmatters

acmatters

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
We have our laptop along on vacation and are unable to connect to the Internet through DSL ethernet. When I go to enable the connection and check the status, it says it's receiving the "packets" but the received side indicates zero. So when I try to get to the Internet it can't find the server. Our friends are able to connect so I know it's an issue with our laptop... something blocking it. Don't have a firewall enabled, so that's not it. What else can I check? At home, it's used wirelessly. Thanks for any suggestions/advice you can provide.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi acmatters
You need to diable the wireless connection. Look in the taskbar near the clock your wireless connection should be there. Double click on that to open network connections. Right click on the wireless icon and choose disconnect.
If there is an icon in network connection for the lan then right click on that an choose enable.
If there is not another icon then on the left hand side choose create a new connection and follow the prompts. When you get back home you will have to reverse the enable/disable.
Cheers
peterm

acmatters

acmatters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thanks, peterm. Although, I think we tried all that and it still didn't work. But we're back home now, so it's moot anyway. However, now things seem to be really messed up. When we logged on today at the airport (free WiFi), it's as if we were logged on as a different user, but we've only ever had one user defined. The favorites have all disappeared in Internet Explorer, our wallpaper had disappeared, and when we go to previously frequented websites still listed on our desktop, all of the passwords and login info previously stored are gone. Can we get these back? I think you can probably tell from my lack of proper lingo that we're not real computer savvy. We thought about doing a system restore; however, it appears that Windows 2000 does not have that capability??

Thanks in advance!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
In your sig you say xp but you talk about 2000 ?
No 2000 does not have system restore. No doubt you do not have a backup?
Sorry it only has Last known good configuration - since you have booted and it logged on then it would be the Last Known.
We could try searching for the missing stuff but I think it would be more trouble then it's worth. Unless you have stuff you Must recover then we will give it a go.
Cheers
Peterm

acmatters

acmatters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Sorry. Guess I should change that. XP was my former PC when I first began posting questions on here. This is my hubby's laptop which is 2000. Now I don't even have XP as I just had to buy a new PC with Vista. So now we're a Vista and 2000 household. No XP. Miss that ... I liked it. Anyway ... we'll mull this over. Probably can rebuild whatever we need to. I wonder what we unknowingly did to screw this up. And you're right ... no backup. We're bad about that. Some people never learn! But we do give blood!

I'll re-post if we want to try to recover. I guess I just don't understand what happened. The OS is fine but all the documents and previous info is gone. The shortcuts on the desktop are still there, but it's as if we're first-time users when we go to any of them. It seems like if the system crashed, we wouldn't have anything.