Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

followed directions?

• Please log in to reply

Bill Park

Bill Park

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay,

Wife's laptop started acting up. Downloaded Hijack This!, found geeb.dll among others.

Downloaded the VundoFix app. Extracted it to her desktop.

Started computer in Safe mode, no networking. Just to be safe, I turned our router off.

VundoFix did not open as described in t65809.html. I hit the "Scan..." button and off it went.

Three hours later, it was still scanning her 80 gig 7200RPM disk.

I turned the machine off.

Tried to reboot.... blank screen. Fan comes on, there is some hard disk activity, but that soon stops.

Tried to use F8, no luck.

Tried F5, no luck.

Tried to get to the CMOS, no luck.

Put in her original Windows XP disk (which should have attempted to boot before the hard drive), no luck.

Anybody know what is going on?

Thanks,

Bill

Advertisements

steamwiz

steamwiz

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 68 posts
  • MVP
HI

Sorry Bill ... sounds like the PSU or the motherboard ...

The fact you were running a scan with vundofix was just a coincidence, when your computer effectively died ...

I'll move this to the hardware forum...

steam

Bill Park

Bill Park

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

HI

Sorry Bill ... sounds like the PSU or the motherboard ...

The fact you were running a scan with vundofix was just a coincidence, when your computer effectively died ...

I'll move this to the hardware forum...

steam

Thanks,

However, I don't believe this to be the case. I managed to get it started again. Followed several other forums' instructions to try to rid myself of geebb and the associaited dlls that show up on Hijack This!, and finally, after days of wating time, I am doing what I knew I would have to do in the first place, reformat the hard drive and reload the OS. That is always a last ditch answer, but as nobody seems to have ther real scoop about this virus, I opted for what will be the time saving method of repair... slash and burn.

Bill