Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

New box... old hd with xp

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I'm looking to upgrade my sys.
I am looking at a barebone sys that has everything except the hd.
What kind of problems can I expect by placing the hd out of my old box into a new one.
Knowing that xp is already set up for the old box (motherboard, etc, etc).

Or, any suggestions on how to go about this.

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Don't even try booting into XP. Do a repair install first thing. Installing a previous setup XP on a new computer can leave you with multiple users and programs you cannot access, and many other problems with different drivers conflicting. The best method is to backup all data on the drive you do not want to save and then do a clean reinstall of XP. Even if you have to borrow a XP cd somewhere and use magic jellybean finder to get your old Key code from the old HD.