Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Network

• Please log in to reply

adamdillon

adamdillon

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I am having problems with a network. I have 6 computers networked together all reading a folder on the main computer. 3 are wired and 3 are wireless. One of the wireless computers is have problems seeing the shared folder sometimes. It always stays connected to the network and i'm always able to connect to the internet, it's just that when i go browse for the folder, it doesn't show it all of the time.

Thanks ahead,
Adam

Advertisements

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Are you able to browse to other folders using the currently not working computer?

adamdillon

adamdillon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
on and off i am. It cuts in and out.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can you move the laptop away from any appliance...phone...dimmer switch..fan....and see if the problem goes away...even a can between your laptop and the router can cause drop outs..you could also try moving the router...
even a foot can sometimes help

Edited by happyrck, 19 March 2008 - 04:45 PM.

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Although you say that it is always connected I would suggest that you connect using an Ethernet cable anyway to simply check the possibilities.

adamdillon

adamdillon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I can always connect to the internet, just not the shared folder. I will try to connect using an ethernet cable today. I can't move the computer around too much bc it is a desktop with a wireless adapter.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this..

One of the wireless computers is have problems seeing the shared folder sometimes

and this...

Are you able to browse to other folders using the currently not working computer?
on and off i am. It cuts in and out.

these 2 indicate its a wireless problem...not a permission or settings problem..
Try moving the router to a different position... even a foot or two may fix the problem
try to figure out what is being used when the signal gets slow or dropped... and move the router away from that device
or to a location away from all other appliances...any thing electrical can cause interference

Will_00 advice to

I would suggest that you connect using an Ethernet cable anyway to simply check the possibilities.

is good...
if you no longer have problems seeing the shared folders...confirms its a wireless issue

Edited by happyrck, 20 March 2008 - 09:15 AM.