Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE cannot display webpage

• Please log in to reply

dsmith402

dsmith402

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
this is the error i've been getting quite frequently while i'm surfing the web. it happens randomly, sometimes for long peroids of time other times just have to refresh the page. its becoming quite bothersome, so i'm hoping that someone may be able to help me figure this out. any info or suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

Internet connectivity has been lost.
The website is temporarily unavailable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
To view subscribed feeds

Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The error can be the result of a many causes. To name some: Problems with the telephone line, not enough filters installed on the telephone sockets, faulty modem, faulty cables, faulty router, faulty Lan adapter, faulty drivers etc.etc. etc. Since the errors shows only sporadically it may be difficult to pinpoint the source.

To start with: could you give us some details about the setup (e.g dsl or dial-up. Modem-Router, just modem, modem + router, Wired or wireless. network or single. If on network, do other computers show the same problems etc etc etc.

dsmith402

dsmith402

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
i'm connected using a wireless connection setup to the house. the house modem is a cable connection. i have not been able to ask anyone else in the house since no one has been home yet. the thing thats so strange is i am still am to run azureus and it'll download files just fine. if you need any more info let me know, i'm not too tech savy but i'll do what i can to provide the best info possible

dsmith402

dsmith402

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
another strange thing i've noticed, i'm still able to connect to trillian as well without being able to use IE.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It could help if we knew how the other computers in the house perform. Meanwhile try to repair IE. You will need XP installation CD for that.

Click Start > Search > all files and folders. Click "More Advanced Options" and check everything. In "A Word Or A Pharase in The File" type ie.inf and run the search. Among the found files look for a file named ie in the folder c:\windows\inf. Right-click the file and choose to install. That will repair IE if it's corrupted.

If you don't have XP disk, or if the repair doesn't help, download and install Mozilla's Firefox. It's an excellent, simple to use browser. This will help us to determine if the problem is with IE or somewhere else.