Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A Camera Disaster

• Please log in to reply

fordbaby183

fordbaby183

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-P10 recently went haywire to unknown causes. The menu works fine and I can review pictures that were taken before, but when I turn the camera on to actually take a picture the whole thing screws up. The camera has Smart Zoom and I think this is what is messing it up because the lens focuses in and out until it just quits and an error message appears that tells me to turn the camera on and off again. If you listen closely, it also makes a strange grinding noise. I have cleaned the lenses and even reset the camera, but to no avail. I'm wondering if I'm better off just buying a new camera. Any ideas?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think you've either got to see if there's a camera repair shop that could fix the camera....or buy a new one....

sounds like the focusing actuator (that's probably not what it's really called but it's the best description i've got) might be busted? the thing that moves the lenses to focus the camera....maybe the gears are stripped so it can't run through it's full "focus test" routine (most cameras do a focal test first to make sure it's working)

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Most of this type of technology is considered "disposable". Especially this one since its at least 4 years old. Your specific one may not be, but the DSC-P10 came out in 2003, so one way or another, its 4 year old technology.

The chances of you finding someone who can fix it are remote at best.

We can always give suggestions if you are looking at a new one.

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
That camera needs repairs, but the truth of the matter is you can find a new camera that is 10 times better for at least $100 now!

I say throw it away in the recycling bin since it's old school or give it to a repair shop as a trade or price deduction off a new camera. They can possible fix it or use the spare parts and give you a deal for a new cam. Shops that do this kind of stuff are usually in any downtown area of every city and specifically sell cameras only!

Edited by superstar, 27 March 2008 - 12:44 PM.