Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC Guard won't run

• Please log in to reply

JPA

JPA

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi,

we've got Virgin PC Guard on our PC (I'm aware of it's reputation...) and all of a sudden it's started freezing when it tries to load on start-up. We can no longer get into it now due to this. I'm getting the error message

'Rps - The parameter is incorrect'

Anyone have any ideas?

Meanwhile I don't have any firewall etc, though I installed AVG to allow me to do a virus scan and it found nothing. Similarly Adaware and superantispyware didn't find any problems. the Panda Onlie Scan kept crashing as it neared completion though, not sure how relevant that actually is.

I tried system restore and it wouldn't allow me to do that for some reason.

Am using Windows XP and IE7.

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
No great loss, it isn't very good anyway. Get rid of PC Guard, just uninstall it.
You'll do better with just AVG and Zonealarm, for all the good PC Guard is.

JPA

JPA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
If I install a free firewall, should I then disable the Windows one?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most programs will insist on disabling the Windows Firewall themselves, but you shouldn't have two firewalls running together otherwise you'll never go anywhere on the Internet.