Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply

jrays

jrays

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all, new here, and did a little research but couldn't find any information that closely related to my problem. I'm trying to fix a grandmother's computer which will not boot up. She said it was working fine but one day it stopped working. It boots directly to the black BIOS screen and here are the notes I jotted down on what it said:

American Megatrends 3/12/03
M266 (A) BIOS P1.30 ACPI
Intel Celeron CPU 2.40 GHz

Auto-detecting Pri Master...IDE Hard Disk
Auto-detecting Pri Slave Not Detected
Auto-detecting Sec Master ATAPI CD-ROM
Auto-detecting Sec Slave Not Detected

Pri Master TW100-08 Samsung SP 0411N
Ultra DMA Mode-5 S.M.A.R.T Capable and Status OK
Sec Master C400 Samsung CDROM SC1526

Above the "auto-detecting" it gave the options to hit I believe, F2 or F12. Hitting either did nothing, as the screen froze either way. It would change to "F2--> Go!" but the screen would not advance to anything else. I have not seen the computer in months personally so I don't know any of the specs or what might have been happening with it. From other threads it seems people often suggest the hard disk might be damaged. It is definitely a possibility as I'm pretty sure this was a used computer when she got it, and she certainly is not computer savvy. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Advertisements

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Hi jrays :)

I would suggest physically looking at it or asking her to try and get someone to come physically look at it. Especially since she's not that pc savvy. There is way too much information missing to be able to attempt a fix especially since you are relaying the information to someone that is possibly not entirely capable of following directions...

- Does it have a 2nd hard drive installed? Primary slave no detected is just saying that there is no second drive on the primary ide controller. Its not a problem unless there is a 2nd drive installed and its not being recognized.

- Is it a name brand computer?

- Has anything new been installed hardware-wise?

- There aren't any error messages, just the post screen freezing?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what happens when you try booting up in safe mode..
no joy...
try setting the default or safe bios settings...usually F5 but read the screen to see if yours is different..
You enter the BIOS from the first screen you see when you turn your computer on. To enter your BIOS, most users here will press the DEL key.

Most Dell, Toshiba, Gateway, Sony & HP systems will press F2.

Compaq users will usually have to press F10.

IBM typically uses F1 or F2.

Other brands may have different keys to press to enter setup, F1, F2, Del, Tab and CTRL+S. If possible see the manual for your computer or motherboard. Also, the BIOS will usually display which button to press to "enter setup" during POST (if it flashes by too fast, press the Pause key).

no joy

do you have another power supply you could try...

Edited by happyrck, 20 March 2008 - 10:32 AM.

jrays

jrays

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys,
thanks for the tips. I know it said F2 or F12 to enter setup, but pressing either of them did nothing, as it simply just stayed on the BIOS screen. No the computer was not new and I don't believe it has a second hard drive. I will try to open it up next time I'm over there and see if I can find any power problems. Any other suggestions are welcome though.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
bring a keyboard with you...just in case its the keyboard