Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which is better?

• Please log in to reply

TwilightGlow

TwilightGlow

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, I've recently built my first computer, so here's the problem:

I have 2 sticks of 1GB 800Mhz Orz memory on an ASUS P5B-VM, but, this turned out to be unstable at times, my cousin said my RAM was "too fast" for my motherboard, even though the box clearly says it supports it. So anyways, when it becomes unstable, it shuts down and refuses to start back up. In order to start it up again, I have to take my two sticks out and put one stick of 512MB @ 533Mhz memory to "jump start" it, once this is done, I merely just shut it down after it starts up, and replace my two sticks back.

Now, I know that when you mis-match RAM speeds on your MB, all the sticks will run at the speed of the slowest one, so here's the question

Does 2.5GB of RAM at 533Mhz perform better than 2GB at 800Mhz? (This is a gaming PC)

If the former is better, I'll just keep all the sticks in there at all times, if not, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing now (it really isn't much hassle, I've only had to "jump start" it twice).

Edited by TwilightGlow, 18 March 2008 - 08:08 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
800Mhz memory is always faster. I think you should get into the BIOS and set the memory timing there. This will usually cause the instablility to go away using faster memory. you will have to look in your BIOS to see what changes can be made and then google for answers until you think you can set them OK.

SRX660

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hello and welcome to geekstogo,
Also be sure to check the memory voltage is set high enough, this often causes stability issues as well.
James

Edited by james_8970, 19 March 2008 - 04:47 PM.