Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

McAfee Persoanal Firewall Download Taking 4-ever!

• Please log in to reply

sparklehorse

sparklehorse

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello! Somehow we activated an installatiion of a McAFee personal firewall update. There has been a green box with a yellow arrow on the taskbar since yesterday afternoon. When I hover over it it displays " McAfee personal firewall installing". I started to turn off the computer last night and a window came up saying not to turn off the computer that McAfee would let me now when it is done. I cannot find anything that displays a download status. My program list says I already have McAfee installed. Any ideas on how I can stop this without messing anything up or leaving fragments of a partially installed program?

Thank you!

Edited by sparklehorse, 18 March 2008 - 09:24 PM.

Advertisements

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Hi Sparkle,

You have the program installed, what is running is just an update for it. If its been running that long I would suggest rebooting the computer, then once its back up opening the firewall program and manually running its update tool. You should be able to see the status of the update then.

sparklehorse

sparklehorse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Mitch,

I will have to turn the computer off at the wall outlet power supply...it will not let me shut it off any other way. I will let you know what happens later.

Thanks,
Sparkle

Edited by sparklehorse, 20 March 2008 - 10:32 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Can't you stop it in Task Manager? Press ctrl+Alt+del, Click Aapplications, Mark the McAfee and click End Task.

sparklehorse

sparklehorse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Wow Skeptic,
That was way too easy, once again I overlooked the obvious!
Thanks, Sparkle

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You are welcome.