Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro Will NOT Load After Running DiskDefrag, PLEASE HELP

• Please log in to reply

jo2008

jo2008

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I have spent 2 days trying to find the answer to my problem and nothing works. I dont understand what is wrong and could truly use the help of this forum please.

The problem: I tried to clean up some room on my HD and deleted some files and etc. Then I figured it was time to do a diskDefrag because it has been a long time since. The Diskdefrag finished with no problems at all and windows was working just fine. I then shutdown the laptop and the next morning when I tried to start it, is when I had the bad luck.

When I power on the laptop, it goes thru all the steps, except after the black screen with the windows logo comes on with the stats bar, it goes away and the blue screen of death comes on with the following:

** stop: C000021a {Fatal System Error} The windows Logon Process System process terminated unexpectedly with status 0xc0000135

The system has been shut down **

I have tried every option the F8 Menu...from safe mode, safe mode with networking, to Last Know Configuration...and nothing freaking works....THEN I booting off a copied Windows XP Pro CD, and clicked 'ENTER' (Which all the forums say to choose that option) BUT when I did that the next screen said the following:

** Setup did not find any Hard disk drives installed in your computer. Setup cannot continue. To quit setup press F3 **

PLEASE...Someone help me to fix this. I'm running WinXP Pro and its a tablet laptop. In the past I would have no problem just losing everything and starting over, however there is alot of very important files on it, that I need because my son is handicapped and currently have a case with the Ins company about getting approval for equipment.

Please any ideas on what I could do would be very much appreicated. Keep in mind when explaining what to do that I'm not a pro and might not know how to do certain tasks.

Just to be clear...I cant get into windows at all. When I power on, it goes thru the steps but then stops and gives me the BSOD. I tried running the Winxp pro cd, and have only done the first option 'To setup Windows 2000/XP now, press ENTER'. I have NOT tried the other option 'using Recovery Console, press R' because I was told that this will erase ALL files.

Sorry for writing so much, it just that this Ins case is very important to my son and I'm very nervous that I might have screwed things up. I'm willing to try anything, please just let me know what to do. Thanks in advance for any help.

John Silko

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
I haven't heard of the Recovery Console erasing all files, but then again there is a first for everything. I guess it depends on what options you choose.

Anyway, see if this helps:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;156669

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
I forgot to put this in my last post (having a "Senior Moment").

While your system is booting continuously tap the F3 key (on my system it is the F3 key, may be F1, F2, or Del key on yours) to get into the BIOS. See if the BIOS is recognizing your hard drive.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Jo2008
Lets try a simple one to start with
1.Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.
2.Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.
3.Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
4.Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.
Cheers
peterm

jo2008

jo2008

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone,

First want to thank everyone for reading my post and trying to help me out. I read the info at the link that you sent but I cant do those things because I cannot get to dos or command prompt. Also as I mentioned in my first post I cannot get into safe mode...I cannot get into safe mode with command prompt...I cannot get into any of the options that are listed when you press F8.

Please guys...dont give up on me...I will try anything that you think will work. Does anyone have an idea on why it didnt work when I tried to use the Winxp pro cd? Read my post and see the error it gave me when I tried to boot thru the cd.

Please let me know what you think I should try,

john

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Recovery Console will not erase any files. In fact, it's one of the most powerful and useful tools we have. Try to restore the computer to an earlier date, before the problem started. I hope this will help. Please follow theses instructions:

System Restore from Recovery Console

* When you get to the recovery console Type: CD \
* Press Enter
* Type: cd system~1\_resto~1
* Press Enter
* Type: dir
* Press Enter

After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the Enter key untill you reach the end of the list

* Type: cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list). Example: cd rp9, if rp9 is the second to the last restore point where the last restore point no. is 10
* Press Enter
* Type: cd snapshot
* Press Enter
* Type: copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
* Press Enter
* Type: copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software
* Press Enter
* Type: Exit
* Press Enter

Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:

* Type: CD \
* Press Enter
* Type: cd windows\system32\config
* Press Enter
* Type: ren system system.bak
* Press Enter
* Type: Exit
* Press Enter

Your PC should reboot to windows.

If you still cannot get access in anyway to your installation in the recovery console then your SAM database files are corrupt. There is no way you can restore these with the recovery console. You may need to do a fresh install.
If you still cannot get access in anyway to your installation in the recovery console then your SAM database files are corrupt. There is no way you can restore these with the recovery console. You may need to do a fresh install.

If not successful then there are other methods to backup the data from a broken system. My favorite is to create a BartPE bootable CD and use it for backup and other purposes:

BartPE is a windows based, very small operating system that loads into the computer's RAM.

Use the link in my signature to download the necessary file. Follow the instructions how to create the bootable CD by using an XP installation CD. It's quite simple.

To backup your data boot the computer, click GO, click PROGRAMS and then click A43 FILE MANAGEMENT UTILITY. Windows explorer will open and you can copy the necessary data and save it to a storage device.

Edited by The Skeptic, 20 March 2008 - 02:24 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Sorry missed the part about command prompt.

Does anyone have an idea on why it didnt work when I tried to use the Winxp pro cd? Read my post and see the error it gave me when I tried to boot thru the cd.

To use another cd you will have to install the drivers for your hard drive(press F6 when going through the 1st stage)
To do this we need to get your drivers on to a floppy- If you can take one or cd. Please post the Make & Model number of your computer. Once we get past that point then I suggest we do a parellel install.
If you do a repair you will loose any files you have in the my documents folder.
Cheers
peterm

jo2008

jo2008

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello again,

I really appreciate everyone taking out the time to help me.

Skeptic...I cannot follow your instruction because when I try to choose either option...either the 'windows install press ENTER' OR 'Recovery console PRESS R'...the next screen says the following...'Setup did not find any Hard disk drives installed in your computer. Setup cannot continue. To quit setup press F3'

The other thing that you mention, about 'BartPE bootable CD'. You mention to look in your 'Sig' for a link however I could not find any link that said 'BartPE'. Can you please tell me where I can find this CD and please explain how I should use it.

Peterm...I have a Gateway Tablet Laptop Model#CX2610...running WinXP Pro its about 2 to 3 years old. I read what you wrote but didnt understand what you want me to try...please let me know what I should do but please try not to make it too techie because I'm not a expert in computers.

For Skeptic, Peterm and anyone else who reads this, please...please dont give up on me. I know you guys must not have alot of free time to go around...but this would be sooo much help to my son and I...please just let me know what I should try next.

Thanks in advance,
John

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Sorry about the missing link to BartPE. Here it is. It's really not difficult to make.

Another option is to prepare a bootable disk of Puppy Linux. The idea is the same, create a RAM running operating system that enable access to your data. This time, as the name applies, it's Linux based. Here is a link. Download Puppy version 2.16 "Luv". Burn the downloaded .iso file to a disk and boot your computer. There are all kind of silly named instructions, follow them, it's simple. Use the flsh- disk- like icon to get into the file manager.

If you look for a very simple .iso files burning tool, download BURNCDCC.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If The Skeptics idea won't work go to this web site and download (try one thing at a time only. If The Skeptics way gets you to your data then keep going with that).
Click on me click on the down load now (it's in red.) I hope you have a floppy drive on the laptop.

Installation
Download the driver file to the desktop, and then perform the following steps.

1. If you have not already done so, locate and double-click the D00365-002-001.exe file that you downloaded from the Internet and execute the file. Files extract to the C:\Cabs\D00365-002-001 folder on your hard drive.

2. Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy disk drive.

3. In the C:\Cabs\D00365-002-001 folder, double-click F6flpy32.exe.

4. Click OK to start the disk creation.

5. The disk creation dialog box closes when the disk is complete.
Then you have to start the install for xp again. You need to read the screen and it will ask if you need to install drivers press F6. This is what you have to do then follow the prompts. Once this part works we then try a parallel install.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 21 March 2008 - 01:17 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
How to do a parallel install (Thanks wannabe1)
* At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
* Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
* With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
* Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
* To continue setup using this partition, press C
* Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
* To use a different folder, press Esc
* Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter

The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

Edited by peterm, 21 March 2008 - 01:18 AM.