Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WMA to MP3

• Please log in to reply

Tazz1037

Tazz1037

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Not sure if this is the right place but.......I have downloaded a ton of songs from Napster (and paid for them). They are in WMA format and unusable anywhere else except my computer, unless I burn them to a CD, which converts them somehow. I am looking to get rid if the license that is embedded in the WMA file so I can use it on my Ipod type device. How can I do this or how do I convert the WMAs to a MP3 or a useable format? I have tried convertors online, but they all fail. Can't convert the WMA.

Thanks!!!

Edited by Tazz1037, 18 March 2008 - 10:29 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Realistically when you buy music from the likes of Napster, you're not buying the music as such, you're only buying the rights to play it on a computer. Much like when you buy a CD from a shop, you're only buying the right to play it at home, you're not buying the music.
Therefore legally, the music stays with the computer you download it onto unless you pay extra to hear it on something else. This is the whole point of the whole Digital Rights Management argument, to prevent copying. However if you miss a Napster payment, you have no music at all as none of what you've downloaded will play.

Tazz1037

Tazz1037

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
So I should swith to ITunes? Whatever my burner does allows me to burn them to a cd (it converts it) and then if I rip it from the CD, it works fine on portable devices. Costs add up for a few song.

So if I get a new comuter, I have to buy all the songs again?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I did not mention ITunes, same behaviour will occur in any of these online music stores.
And you don't have to buy all the music again for a new computer, you just deactivate it on the old computer, copy it to the new one and activate it back there.

hao hao

hao hao

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
spam

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Doesn't matter what conversion software you use -- if it's a WMA file with DRM embedded you won't be able to convert it. DRM is pretty much 'bomb-proof', which is why many people refuse to have anything to do with purchasing WMA music or any other DRM-enabled formats. I'm one of those people. We have our lives restricted enough as it is without 'voluntarily' accepting additional constraints on what we can and cannot do (and paying for it!)

Edited by pip22, 22 March 2008 - 02:18 PM.

hao hao

hao hao

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
i 'm sorry! i don't know about this , thank you for telling this to me .

tmsgabber

tmsgabber

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Since the songs you downloaded have drm embedded, you could always obtain some kind of recording software, I personally use Total Recorder, and record songs as they are playing. Should be set up to record anything coming thru sound card, and to record and save as MP3 at whatever quality you choose. That is an option, since I'm sure you listen to the song once or twice after downloading.