Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"infected by unknown trojan..." [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

shawshank24

shawshank24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
and now, for some reason, combofix won't run again... i run as admin, it shows the progress bar, and then nothing else happens. it's the same as the first time you asked me to run it, i have no idea why it ran successfully last time...

Advertisements

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts
the BSOD issues are beyond my knowledge and i will be directing you to the Windows Vista™ part of this forum when we are done here.

and now, for some reason, combofix won't run again... i run as admin, it shows the progress bar, and then nothing else happens. it's the same as the first time you asked me to run it, i have no idea why it ran successfully last time...

im suspecting this is all related to your BSOD issues.

do you still have a black screen etc?

andrewuk

shawshank24

shawshank24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
yeah, still no background or thumbnails...

ugh, this computer is literally a week old.

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts
Hi shawshank24

yeah, still no background or thumbnails...

ugh, this computer is literally a week old.

from a malware point of view your logs are clean. and i am clean out of ideas on how to fix your thumb nails and screen :)

for the BSOD issues, and the screen, i would post in this part of the forum: Windows Vista™

however, given the age of your computer i would seriously think about taking it back.

you should clear off combofix though:

Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK

• Posted Image

• When shown the disclaimer, Select "2"

The above procedure will:
  • Delete the following:
    • ComboFix and its associated files and folders.
    • VundoFix backups, if present
    • The C:\Deckard folder, if present
    • The C:_OtMoveIt folder, if present
  • Reset the clock settings.
  • Hide file extensions, if required.
  • Hide System/Hidden files, if required.
  • Reset System Restore.
If you have trouble with this, let me know and we will clear away the fix tools and reset your restore points another way

andrewuk

shawshank24

shawshank24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
i changed the view in my folder and the thumbnails displayed again. i don't know what was going on, but the simplest thing i could think of turned out fixing it.

still have no background though. i was running all those scans and stuff when it disappeared, so i have a feeling it's a bi-product of one of those. that's why i think that it's a registry issue or something, and not software/hardware... maybe a vista setting, but my best guess is registry.

i added to a thread of a person who seemed to be having the same problem in the vista forum. hopefully someone over there can figure this brain-buster out...

from all the google searches i've done about my BSOD issues, the thing i see common to all the errors is bad RAM. next time it happens will put me over the edge to where i take out a stick at a time and see if it continues to happen. i have an extended warranty, and they will send me new RAM if i find that to be the problem. (maingear).

thank you again adrewuk for all your help, if you stumble upon any fixes for the desktop issue, i would be greatful if you let me know.

thanks!

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts

still have no background though. i was running all those scans and stuff when it disappeared, so i have a feeling it's a bi-product of one of those. that's why i think that it's a registry issue or something, and not software/hardware... maybe a vista setting, but my best guess is registry.

in my experience, running combofix again normally sorted it out.

if you stumble upon any fixes for the desktop issue, i would be greatful if you let me know.

i will do

andrewuk

shawshank24

shawshank24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
do you think a program such as registry mechanic would pick up things like this and "clean" them?

or is there a database of entries with descriptions i can use to compare to my registry to look for a culprit?

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts
i dont know the answer to your first question.

to your second, we looked in the only place i could think of...........which is pretty much why i am clean out of ideas.

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts
since from a malware point of view your logs are clean i will close this topic.

i will keep monitoring your post in the vista forum and keep looking for ideas myself on your desktop issue. if i find a solution, i will drop you an IM.

andrewuk

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements