Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Reboots on a Vista PC. PSU Problem?

• Please log in to reply

nanafanboy

nanafanboy

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
my pc:

* Intel® Core 2 Q6600 2.4GHz Quad Core Processor
* 3072MB PC2-5300 RAM installed (two 1024MB and two 512MB modules)
* 500GB 7200 RPM SATA II hard drive
* DVD ±RW 18X multi-format dual layer drive
* NVIDIA GeForce® 8500GT 256MB with DVI and VGA
* 15-in-1 media card reader
* Integrated 8-Channel (7.1) High Definition Audio
* 56K ITU V.92 ready Fax/Modem
* Microsoft Vista Home Premium Installed
* Voltage Required: AC 120/230 V
* Power provided: 400 Watt

I recently purchased this pc, and for about a week it was running fine. Just yesterday, though, it began to randomly reboot. No error message or anything. One the of the fans audibly speeds up (I think the PSU fan, because I cracked it open and watched the CPU fan and it didn't seem to change speed. I could be mistaken though) then BAM... reboot. My temperature seems to be fine, I even downloaded a program to regulate the fan speed based on temp. I did a system restore, and uninstalled/rolled back a few new drivers. Nothing I've done has worked so far. I have a feeling its the PSU... either its not powerful enough to run the system or its faulty.

any ideas?

Advertisements

techpro5238

techpro5238

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I would like you to download and install the program Speedfan. When you are done installing Speedfan open and look for 3 columns. One should have temperatures, the other should have voltages, and the last one should contain your fan speeds. When you have found this information please post to me in a column such as this: (Example)

Temperatures

Temp1: 30 C
Temp2: 60 C
HD0: 44 C

Voltages (only for desktops)

5V: 5
3.33V: 3.24

Fan Speeds

Speed1: 2480 RPM

(Remember this is just an example, please post your exact information)

If you are running on a Dell Laptop please follow these steps then post your temperatures, voltages, and fan speeds:

• Open Speedfan
  • Click Configure on the Main Screen
  • Go to the Options Tab
  • Check the: "Enable DELL Support (use this function only on DELL notebooks)" check box
  • Click Ok then Close Speedfan
  • Start Speedfan once again

Then post your temperatures, voltages, and fan speeds.