Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer frozen on XP + search function missing

• Please log in to reply

Ballagan

Ballagan

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there,

I have XP SP2 and I recently started to experience consistant problems with my internet Explorer as it keeps freezing on me, or just refuses to open certain links while browsing websites. I also noticed that the "search" function does not work anymore (it freezes the PC for 10 - 20 seconds without opening the search windows) however I can still search via Windows explorer.

This problem started when I downloaded the last Windows update from the Microsoft site (Beginning of April 2005) and the last version of messenger (7.0)

I have since tried a system restore with no luck, downloaded Microsoft antispyware (I also have Ad-aware) and updated my Norton anti-virus. I did find a couple of spywares, and cleaned everything up.

I also did a free scan from Registryfix, and it did identify multiple problems (about 191 of them!!) however I wonder if buying the sofware will really take care of my problems (this program has mixed reviews) I previously used DashBug, then realized it contained spyware, so I uninstalled it.

PC stats:
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Intel® Celeron® D 330 Processor
Operates at 2.66 GHz
256KB L2 cache & 533 MHz FSB
Intel® 845GV Chipset
768 MB DDR (PC 2700) Was originally @ 256 MB
60 GB HDD 1

All programs seems to work just fine (except for Internet Explorer!!!), I usually run MSN messenger (witn MSN plus), Skype and Explorer.

I have attached a screenshot of my task manager so you can see what is currently running on my PC

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thx
Ballaganprog_running.GIF prog_running.GIF

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try Tune Up Trial which will do the same as the programme you ran, run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, this one takes a while, freezes PC while it runs this then needs reboot

Tune Up Trial

Ballagan

Ballagan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the link, Tune up did fix all errors previously identified by Registryfix, and overall, the PC seems faster, but.... the main issues with Explorer and the search function remain.

:-(

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then control panel then add / remove then add / remove windows components, take the tick out of Internet Explorer, click next then apply, then reboot then go here

Microsoft

Download Internet Explorer from popular searches on the page

Edited by Keith, 25 April 2005 - 02:26 AM.

Ballagan

Ballagan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok, I did the first part (then I coudn't find my explorer anymore... ) got back on it via my favorite, then tried to download explorer again, but apparently I have a newer version than the one microsoft offers on its site, and they won't let me install the "old" one?? Looks like they only have Explorer with SP1 (I have SP2)

Should I uninstall SP2, then try to download explorer again??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This deals with repairing IE

Repair IE

It mentions checking the system files, click start then run then type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Ballagan

Ballagan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the tips. I was enable to complete the last thing you suggested (i don't have the XP CD), however I tried tune up again, and everything is working now, including the search function.

The only thing left is a little window launching at startup showing "Explorer installer" followed immediately by another pop up from Norton saying something about "repair not authorized/please uninstall and re-install"
I just need to close both windows and everything works just fine.

Still something screwy about the PC, but I no longer have problems surfing.

Thank you!!!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does Norton say whether it should be re-installed or IE

Ballagan

Ballagan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry, I should have been more specific about the message, this is what it actuallys says: Norton antivirus 2005 does not support the repair feature, please uninstall and reinstall.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Symantec say this

http://service1.syma...05&csm=no&tpre=

They have details for removing here

http://service1.syma...5&osv=&osv_lvl=

and they say this if add / remove does not work

http://service1.syma...5&osv=&osv_lvl=

Ballagan

Ballagan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, all problems have been fixed!!!

I unistalled and reinstalled Norton, everthing's back to normal!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank you for letting me know