Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiplayer games

• Please log in to reply

Gregec

Gregec

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
hi!!!

I've got a problem. I can play battlefield 1942 mutliplayer and mohaa, too. Why i can't play age of empires, praetorias, counter strike: Non steam..... i've got a wireless connection and in this connection is firewall, and i can't turn off the firewall...any suggestions ?

Edited by Gregec, 24 April 2005 - 09:20 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
don't play on wireless. many games are very sensative to latency issues wich abound when on wireless connections.

Gregec

Gregec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
i've got only wireless connection :'(

Dustbag

Dustbag

• Pip
  • 8 posts
thats probably not the problem.. steam is an [bleep].. truthfully if your running service pack 2 of windows.. steam is ganna get you.. some more information i might be able to help you.. you cant join a game?.. but steam is working?.. or its just not letting you log in?.. or you cant even install it?.. plz explain.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
His problem isn't with steam (please keep your opinion of steam to yourself, no flame wars here). he has several games that do not work. Some do work. Some games handle latency better than others. Wireless introduces high latency among other issues. Wireless is great for most things, but gaming and large file transfers or streaming video just doesn't work well.

Starjax

Dustbag

Dustbag

• Pip
  • 8 posts
but i fix alot problems for ppl much like this one.. ill try to keep the whole steam thing under raps.. but steam usually tells you whut the problem is if you can just tell me what steam is doing.. i might be able to tell you exactly whut is going on.. steam does talk.. in a sence.

Gregec

Gregec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
look.... i deleted counter strike: non steam, cause it's not good game..

i want to play age of empires, and games like battlefield 1942/vietnam.

When i want to play age of empires tells me ' cannot join to server ' i run it with an all seeing eye... I don't understand why i can't play games.

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Hi, and welcome to geeks to go!

Sounds to me that you dont have the latest patch or the games are not legitimate, or just out of date, try to :
>Find the latest patch eg http://www.microsoft...s/downloads.htm

Otherwise it would be due to your connection. Online games require specific ports eg. Counter-Strike 25015 (<- Think), you will need to unlock/disable your firewall to play these games. For help with that vist your firewall manufacture, or post here.

Good luck,

Ntd

NB: Counter-strike is an awesome game in my opinion :tazz:

Gregec

Gregec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
i've got that patch..But i can't play. My firewall is guilty for that. I can't turn off my firewall, cause then my internet connection doens't works.. I don't know how do i can entry any port in my firewall, cause i don't have any programs for this. On a box of wireless connection write:

-VPN connection support
-robust firewall protecting your network
-traffic redirecting for broadband backup connection
-mobile network for office
-UPnP support

is there any chance that i can play multiplayer games?

by the way.... why i can play enemy territory and call of duty multiplayer??

and if i go on page http://www.imageshack.us there is not my ip.
example: Your IP: 193.77.124.151 has been logged.
Make sure to read the Terms of Service. 193.77.124.151 is not my wright ip address ....

Edited by Gregec, 02 May 2005 - 04:06 AM.

Gregec

Gregec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
please help me :tazz:

i want play multiplayer games:)

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Gregec, who provides your broadband service? What modem do you have?

Gregec

Gregec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
my service ---- www.siol.net

i'm using roboticts modem

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I had the exact same prob with AOE II. Check out my post. Someone really helped me out. I'll post the link. If it doesn't work, check out the topic (Hosting online games on LAN Possible? ) in the networking section.

http://www.geekstogo...le_-t19664.html

Hope I can help

David

Gregec

Gregec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
thank you, but that doesnt work. I've got a link of ZyXEL ZyAIR, but i don't know my pass :tazz:

I must ask my brother for password. Thank you very much!

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Did you open direct play ports through both your router and firewall. AOE uses direct play, so be sure to open those ports. Along with that, do a google search for AOE II ports and see what you find... You might have to manually open up the ports used for AOE. Like warcraft uses ports 2100-2300, so you might have to open ports simular. Let me know what you find

David