Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Webroot's Spy Sweeper

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I am a paying customer of Webroot's Spy Sweeper. I've contacted them about an issue I am having, but that are just ignoring me, so any help anyone here can provide would be appreicated.

I have been a user of Spy Sweeper for almost 4 years on my home desktop. For some time on that computer I've had a problem with a certain program that I never could figure out what was causing it.

Last week, however, I upgraded to a 3-pack license to run Spy Sweeper on multiple computers. When the issue I had on my desktop began appearing on the other two computers, I realized Spy Sweeper could be the cause.

Here is the problem... Spy Sweeper causes delays within a specific program I use. (When I try to switch windows to and from this program [using the mouse or ALT-TAB], the switch does not occur instantly, but rather takes a couple of seconds.) The program in question is an old DOS based program that I run in a command prompt. If I switch between that and, for example, a Microsoft Word window or a Notepad window, there will be a delay. It should be noted also that if I switch between these programs and just a blank DOS window, there is no delay. But once I begin my old DOS application, the delay occurs.

I’ve verified the program causing the delay is Spy Sweeper because, when I’ve uninstalled it, I was able to switch windows without any problems. Then, when I reinstalled Spy Sweeper, the problem returned.

Currently, I have Spy Sweeper set to automatically load at Windows startup. Once it loads, if I right-click on the icon and choose “Shut Down,” Spy Sweeper remains in memory, and the window switching delay problem still occurs. Even if I uncheck the option to have Spy Sweeper automatically load at Windows startup, some part of Spy Sweeper still loads into memory upon reboot, and the window switching delay problem still occurs. I’ve even tried un-checking all of the “Shields” in Spy Sweeper, but the problem persists.

The only way I’ve found to fix the problem is to uninstall Spy Sweeper. But, obviously, I can’t do this every day, as that would defeat the purpose of my having paid for the product.

My questions are as follows:
1. Once Spy Sweeper is loaded, how can I shut the program down so that nothing of it remains in memory? (Once shutting it down, I've tried "ending task" of it still in memory through the Task Manager, but it refused to end.)
2. If I deselect the option for Spy Sweeper to automatically load at Windows startup, and short of actually uninstalling it, how can I assure that nothing of Spy Sweeper will load into memory upon a reboot?

Thank you,
Mike.

Advertisements

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Nevermind, I got a refund and went with another product.